cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pam12

Missing that feeling

I have attemted to quit many times. I am one month into another attempt. I think the one thing that I miss the most and what usually sends me running back to the cigs is something that I just can't explain. It is the feeling you get when you have the first cigarette of the day, or the one right after a meal or the one with that drink during happy hour.  Not having that just gives me such a feeling of loss and emptiness.  I would be interested to know what others have done to cope with that feeling.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tina81

Pam, I also have that feeling, though not as bad as my last 2 quits. I don't know when it goes away. I never stayed quit long enough to know. I hope this time is MY and YOUR time to know..Remenber we gave up a powerful physical and psychological addiction. I wish we could sue the big tobacco companies..LOL wouldn't that be justice!!

Peace and hang in there..you sure aren't alone

0 Kudos
daisy8

Hi,

I am quit now for 20 days, it's tough but not as tough as I thought.......the hardest part is what  is mentioned above, the feeling of missing something.....usually I can quiet it by eating, but that too will catch up to me.......I find keeping busy helps so much, weekdays are great, weekends are torture...........stay busy it keeps your mind off of it........and stay away from smokers.....too much temptation...........although, tonight is my test............I'm going to have a few drinks...........I have been stressed out all day but the truth is I DON'T SMOKE..............I will practice that mantra over and over tonight..................Good Luck, the end result is worth it and the feeling of emptiness and missing something dies down as the time goes on.............it's still there for me 20 days in, but it's actually better today than 5 days ago........................

0 Kudos
cjones2467

i know..cigarettes are almost like a companion...that reaching for a cigarette and missing them has always been my downfall..

am using an e-cigarette this time...it's something to carry in my hand, and i take a puff off of it when i just cant take it any more...not sure if this is a good thing or not, but it's keeping me from "missing" my "buddies"

0 Kudos
quitter1-2

I have quit smoking 3 times..1st for 2wks, 2nd-3 months, 3rd 5yrs. I've been smoking again for almost a year and plan to quit jUNE 15.  Every time I quit smoking I feel as if I've lost my best friend! I am so sad, depressed, ect. Last time I quit for 5 years, I realized that the loss I was experiencing is real. Any time someone experiences a loss, they go through the stages of the grief process...Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance.....I realized that and learned to work through these stages to reach acceptance, which requires accepting the good and the bad of cigs. They are beneficial in some ways and I enjoyed smoking, but the price is high, and the bad definitely outweighs the good.  

0 Kudos