cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ree

May Quitters

just signed up and finished my profile. I have picked my quit date and it happens to be in May. so I decided to join the other May quitters. Good Luck to all you May quitters
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
292 Replies
Leenie

Hi Andi,

I've almost made it through the dreaded Month Three! How are you doing in (almost) Month Five (? That right?)? I hope all is well.
0 Kudos
andi

GOSH! It's been 134 days! I can't believe it. I've had some temptations, but with the "if I ever light another one, I'll be right back on the smoke-train" attitude, I'm staying smoke free.
  Way to go, Leenie! It only gets easier, I promise. But you should remain vigilant for those times, like I had this weekend, that are perfect situation, nothing else to do, drinking added pressure, etc.
  For me, deer camp is a hard one. We're constantly just standing around outside (I never smoked inside), drinking beer all the time, just killing time and enjoying the great outdoors with lots of GREAT friends (most of whom smoke). I spent this weekend at camp with a BUNCH of friends and was tempted on a couple of late nights. But life is SO much easier without the nicotine addict, and with full LUNG power! I really enjoyed myself, and I'm inspiring those around me to quit, too!
  I was such a heavy, dedicated smoker, that if I can do it, they're all sure they can, too.
0 Kudos
debbieme

Hi mommabeth! My name is Debbie and my quit date is May 22!  I have been smoking for over 40 years!  I want to be a non-smoker. I also need to be!  I have mild/moderate emphysema.   I lost my mom to lung disease and cancer 2.5 years ago and my father who is becoming very ill due to emphysema!!  You would think I'd never want to pick up a cigarette!  That"s the insanity of this addiction! 

I wish you lots of luck with your quit on the 1st! That's how I quit the last time.  With a quit date and the patch! I hope to be a little more prepared this time and to "not" think that I will ever really be  "cured" of this addiction.  Can't let my guard down this time around!  And this is sooo true....you (we) can never even take one drag!! Believe me, I'm proof of that!!

Hope to keep in touch!!!   

Debbie

0 Kudos
wacandusavet

My quit date is May 5.

I've been smoking for 40+ years.  My biggest triggers are when I'm on the computer (so, I have to break that habit FIRST so that I can use it for the positive of being here...and not lighting up!) and stress.  I'm a female vet with PTSD/MST.  I "learned" from that experience to smoke like crazy when under stress...that's my biggest trigger.  I've tried quitting over and over and over this past year and haven't made it yet.  A friend who used this website successfully to quit told me about it...so, here I am!  I've cut back considerably from all the times I've tried quitting this year but can't seem to quit more than a few days at most.

The VA has programs for quitting but nothing like this!  I think having a place to go when I'm feeling weak will help alot!

0 Kudos
agatha

Hello:)

I also used a quit date to quit smoking last year. November 30 2009. It worked out great.

This site was and is a good friend to me when I want to smoke.  

I had a real bad habit of computing and smoking.. I noticed my pad of paper on the desk and a whole cup of pens/pencils. That kept my hands busy, I wrote anything that came to mind the 5 mins or so I would have smoked.  I was suprised at what I wrote down lol.

I picked up that pad of paper a few days ago and sit down and read it and smiled.. I noticed it started off with " OH lord, Please let me make it through this crap ( This version is in alot nicer wording then what I really wrote down ).  I seem to have wrote for about 3 1/2 months when at my desk/on the pc. On the last page it says, " I feel Great, I smell Great. I may have picked up a few pounds but.. Hell I am Great."  lol..

Now Im on the treadmill Huffing and Puffing clean Air mumbling "Oh lord, Please let me make it through this crap :)! lol

Good Luck friend 🙂

0 Kudos
lois2

i am a March quitter my name is Lois, i love reading what some writes, that keeps me on the quit, good luck to you all, And GOD does help us,

0 Kudos
nhcobra

I quit in March too, good luck lois

0 Kudos
luvicia

My name is Luvicia, and my quit day is May 24. I'm preparing myself for the days ahead, because there will be 'those' days. I am looking forward to quitting completely and getting my health back.

0 Kudos

I'm scared of not being strong enough to dismiss my own excuses.

0 Kudos
luvicia

I am fairly new to this site, and happy I found it. I have been wanting to quit but things seem to crumble when you get to the point of almost being there. I don't smoke near as much, because I "try" to keep my mind busy doing things around the house or going to the library. Job hunting has become so frustrating that I tend to reach for a cigarette when things don't look like they're going to get any better. I use my cigarettes as a comforting friend, because most times people around me can't fully understand the whole meaning of the situation. Bad. I do know this. I get very discouraged at times, which is why I always have a full pack of cigarettes with me at all times. Does anyone else encounter moments like these? And how often?

0 Kudos