cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

paula19

MENTAL ILLNESS

is there anyone out there that has any kind of mental illness who has tried to quit?? my doc printed out a copy of something that talked about why people with mental illness have a much harder time quitting!! i lost it but i will get another one from him!! it does something for us and it causes are depression or brain chemicals to double up when we quit!! a normal person who quits suffers normal depression and withdrawal that goes away with time!! we don't it can be done for us but tell everyone around you what is going on or u will lose ur whole family!! this goes on for months not 2 weeks like other ex smokers!! so beware this is still killing me!! i hate life without them!! but i hate life with them, so i am caught up in a cycle of going manic and depressed!! i am in an aggitated depression one day and severe depression the next, where all ido is sleep so i dont think of life without a cig!! this has been real hell for me and i have quit many times before!! some of us just won't make it and some will, but trying and trying is something others cannot acheive and i need to accept that i keep trying!! i hate them soo much!! but mylife without them is destructive!! telling everyone to get outof my life!! and eating all the time or sleeping really sucks!!! i don't want this kind of life either so im stuck between a rock and a hardplace!! God please give me peace from this insanity!!!!
0 Kudos
33 Replies
pat15

I found this at the Mayo Clinic talk further with your dr

How do you take Chantix?
For best results, it's recommended that you start taking Chantix a week before your quit date. Doctors prescribe the pill for 12 weeks — once a day at first, then twice a day. Gradually increasing the dose helps reduce the chance of side effects. If you've remained smoke-free after 12 weeks, your doctor may consider prescribing an additional 12 weeks of Chantix to improve your chances of remaining smoke-free.

Note: Be sure to tell your doctor about any history of psychiatric illness before taking Chantix. Chantix may worsen a psychiatric illness even if it's currently under control. It may also cause an old psychiatric illness to recur.
0 Kudos
paula19

yeah i heard of people getting worse depression from this med and i was told by my doc that anyone who is bipolar should not take it!! so i am not gonna try. most of my issues now is the craving after i eat i hate it!! i stick the nicotrol inhaler in my mouth but still crave more and more food mostly sweets when im done eating. that was always my fav cig after i ate!! and coffee too. but i can do the coffee still. it makes me want the cig but i can handle it better than after eating. that still is a killer!!
0 Kudos
paula19

THANKS GIRL SOME OF THOSE I TRIED AND SOME I HAVEN'T!! I CAN'T SMOKE ANYMORE IF I TAKE A COUPLE DRAGS I GET A WICKED HEADACHE!! THE PLEASURE IS NOT THERE ANYMORE SO I GUESS THATS A GOOD SIGN BUT THERE IS STILL PLEASURE IN LIGHTING IT AND PUFFING IT AND FEELING SOMETHING GOOD WHEN I INHALE IT!! THEN THE HORRIBLE HEADACHE STARTS AND I SAY STUPID YOU KNOW BETTER!! OTHER THAN THAT THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH OUTTA HERE FOR 2 MONTHS WITH A FEW DRAGS HERE AND THERE, BUT I' M SEEING THAT THE PLEASURE IS NOW HELL EITHER WAY IF I SMOKE OR NOT IT HURTS!
0 Kudos
cindy-j

i am schizoeffective/bipolar, and my aunt read about people with mental illness having a harder time quitting than other people. i know for a fact that it's true. but i am determined to try again with this site, it may be a make or break thing. i sure am hoping it will work for me this time.
0 Kudos