cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

paula19

MENTAL ILLNESS

is there anyone out there that has any kind of mental illness who has tried to quit?? my doc printed out a copy of something that talked about why people with mental illness have a much harder time quitting!! i lost it but i will get another one from him!! it does something for us and it causes are depression or brain chemicals to double up when we quit!! a normal person who quits suffers normal depression and withdrawal that goes away with time!! we don't it can be done for us but tell everyone around you what is going on or u will lose ur whole family!! this goes on for months not 2 weeks like other ex smokers!! so beware this is still killing me!! i hate life without them!! but i hate life with them, so i am caught up in a cycle of going manic and depressed!! i am in an aggitated depression one day and severe depression the next, where all ido is sleep so i dont think of life without a cig!! this has been real hell for me and i have quit many times before!! some of us just won't make it and some will, but trying and trying is something others cannot acheive and i need to accept that i keep trying!! i hate them soo much!! but mylife without them is destructive!! telling everyone to get outof my life!! and eating all the time or sleeping really sucks!!! i don't want this kind of life either so im stuck between a rock and a hardplace!! God please give me peace from this insanity!!!!
0 Kudos
33 Replies
pat15

Paula
I too have bipolar and am trying this program am not even close to quitting it's only been three days of the triggers and the diary
But you have a valid point it is harder for mental diseases such as bi polar I tried many times in the past and never won am trying this program because it makes sense but your right bipolars do get manic withe the alternative nicotine been there
Pat
0 Kudos
paula19

um gee i had panic attacks since 1995, and that led to all the other mental illnesses i have now. including phobias, panic disorder, anxiety disorder, major depression, mixed depression, and bipolar, if i didn;t take meds i wouldn;t be here someoene would be dead or myself!! i have been hospitilized more times then i want to remember, and the past 3 years of quitting smoking back and forth has led me into severe mood swings,depression, and more anxiety attacks!! so u say whatever u want, the point is read more about it and you will see it's a proven fact that people with mental illness have a much harder time a quitting than people who have no other kind of mental disorder. that is proven!! so what's ur point!! i know it's proven because the doc from this site wrote me back about it, and 2 of my own docs said it, but one of my docs never heard of it!! but he will now!! so im not saying you cant quit im saying its harder and can throw your brain chemicals into a complete mess!!! if you think i am using it as an excuse than that's your problem not mine!! you don't mention ur age, how long u smoked, other addictions you may have, and how much u smoked!! there is a lot more at stake in quitting smoking than you think. if it was that easy for you, you are alone on this site!! you are a one and only!!! go ahead look around this page and everyone elses page, and wtf are u out here for sound like your angry that u quit!! so you need to put other down cause they haven't yet!! reminds me of someone who feels if i can quit anyone can!! and that is the biggest bullshit line yet!!! so got talk to others and find out!! i'm glad im not the only one out here who feels this way!! you happen to be that 1 out of 100!! gl and enjoy ur smoke free life!! gotta go have a little puff now!!
0 Kudos
paula19

thanks basic i totally agree with you and that's exactly what the doc told me today!! much harder, but not impossible, just need a little more help and some xtra meds could help, the problem with wellbutrin is i became hostil, and it was causing a very bad change in my moods, many others had that problem too, but some it worked for, i like it except for that!! and i had to stop or i was gonna hurt someone, also when i took that i could never sleep. i sleep great now!! look at the comment below this and see what he had to say he thinks we are making excuses for not quitting!! wow amazing!!
0 Kudos
paula19

i know pat, this is one of the hardest things for us!! i know others have it hard, but we are getting hit with a lot more when we attempt this, it interferes with our meds, our sleep, our moods, and severly with the dangers of the depression and mania!!
0 Kudos
pat15

I agree Paula this program is not meant for nasty name calling it is suppose to help support people to quit that man was very uncalled for mean he can't possible understand mental illness.
Pat
0 Kudos
pat15

ya know am tempted to report him he has no right using dirty language on you or all of us for that matter
0 Kudos
pat15

Michael I think you need to read the rules here
You also agree not to post, email, or otherwise make available any Network, Code, or Content that:

Is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, or harms minors in any way
Harasses, degrades, intimidates or is hateful toward an individual or group of individuals
terms of service go to bottom to read it all
0 Kudos
michael89

wheres my point ? hmmm did you not read my first post where I said I have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) ? probably missed that part explain to me how a person with OCD got over smoking so easily in a week without getting cravings or anything ? Yes I have chemical imbalances in my head just as you but guess what I have realized something most people don't everything is just a fact of if you have the will power to do it meaning it's all mind over matter, and I have a disorder that makes me obsessively makes me do certain things (example I can't walk down the street without touching street signs. If I did go in public I can not go in a store without touching something). Yup thats right I barely leave my house which I guess would make me closer to an agoraphobic. And Pat I understand more than you think, I like to study how people act, talk and behave
0 Kudos
paula19

I HAVE HEARD FROM QUOTE NORMAL PEOPLE THAT PEOPLE WITH ANXIETY DISORDERS AND DEPRESSION AND STUFF ARE ALL MAKING IT UP, AND IT IS ALL MIND OVER MATTER AND YOU CAN CONTROL IT. SO IF YOU SO MUCH BELIEVE THAT MIND OVER MATTER MAKES PEOPLE QUIT SMOKING THEN U MUST BE ONE OF THOSE WHO CAN MAKE YOUR MIND STRONG ENOUGH TO STOP THE OCD!! AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE TO THAT!! PLEASE IF IT WERE THAT SIMPLE THERE WOULDN'T BE A SMOKER OR DRUG USER OR GAMBLER OR DRINKER OUT THERE AND THERE WOULD BE NO MENTAL HELP GROUPS OR SMOKING GROUPS OR ANYTHING SO ENOUGH KID!!
0 Kudos
michael89

yea ok go ahead and try getting over both trust me getting over OCD is a lot harder I should know I let people I know smoke around me just so they remind me what a nasty, disgusting habit I gave up and there's no need to yell thats just your opinion and I stated mine. Oh and my point was it's easier to overcome an addiction like smoking than any Mental Disability
0 Kudos