cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

Lucky to be alive

I am so very sorry my friends for having to post this.  It seems every time I'm absent from this space it's because of a tragic event in my life.  

On September 21st I was admitted to the hospital for abdominal pain and went immediately to surgery.  From that day until October 5th I have no memory of any of the events that took place other than what I was told.  I have 3 procedures done; a hernia repair, and intestinal blockage repair and the removal of meshing from my 2007 surgery which had degraded and became septic.  I went into organ failure and almost died twice on the table.  

While in recovery, my sister and husband told me that I was restrained for 5 days in the hospital bed as I was out of my mind and extremely agitated.  Again, no memory of any of this.  When I woke up on October 5th, I had no idea I had surgery, wasn't in any pain and shocked how much time had passed while I was out of it.  I think my memory loss was my bodies way of protecting me from everything.

On a positive note, I am nearly healed from the surgery and doing very well.  I'm sorry Again that I had to post this but I've always been honest with you all.  

Labels (1)
6 Replies
MarilynH

Oh my gosh Ralph! I'm soooooooooooooo thankful that you are okay now! That's so scarey! Just reading your words made the hair standup on my arms! Whew thank you dear friend and fellow EXer and most definitely EXtended family for this post! Please take EXtra good care of yourself! @Ralph1955 Huge caring hug from me to you! 

Ralph1955

Thank you so much. I’m so happy to have a great support system in my life.  Life goes on and so do I. 🙏🌹

Barbscloud

@Ralph1955 OMG.  So sorry you experienced such frightful ordeal.  Thank goodness you have no memory of it.  Thankful that you're feeling well and on the mend. 

This is the place for support. Sending hugs and caring thoughts your way.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Barb

0 Kudos
Ralph1955

Hey Barb,

Thank God is right.  I remember my first surgery from diverticulitis and that pain was brutal.  SOOOOOO happy I have no memory of this one.

Good news is I'm on the mend and trying to gain back the 32 pounds I lost.  Crazy that I still don't look for a cig.  Yay!!!

Hugs,

Ralph

Ralph1955

Thank you. It’s been quite the journey. 95% healed 👍

Barbscloud

@Ralph1955  Glad that you stopped by with a positive update.   So happy to hear the end is in sight.

Barbscloud_0-1707575831072.jpeg

Barb