cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Loss and quitting

Ok, so apparently I hit the wrong link and sent this as an email instead of a discussion.

I have set my quit date. I have started tracking my cigarettes. I have recognized my triggers. I am on the path. Now what....

I am the mother of two beautiful children that I can't play with because I just can't breathe. I lost my mother in August to lung cancer because she couldn't quit. I don't want to put my children through what I have gone through. I don't want to end up like that. So how does one quit smoking amidst the stress and heartache when stress is a trigger? Well, I am here, that is a start, right?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sandi4

Hi Jennifer...First off, I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. I can't speak to that experience but I can keep you in my prayers for comfort and healing.

I can however speak as a mother who doesn't want her child to experience the nightmare of watching me suffer with cancer. My job is VERY demanding and as a single mother, everything falls on my shoulders, finances, playtime, extracurricular activities, every single decision. My family is 800 miles away so I am ON with no break 24/7. Even when we go back home to visit my parents, I'm there, so I'm still mom. Talk about stress. It never ends. I smoked for over 30 years and you know what? If a situation was bad, it was still bad once I finished that cigarette.

You have to think about all the reasons you want to quit...maybe write them down and your children's names should be numbers 1 and 2. Then work the EX plan. Discover what your triggers are and begin to seperate from then and when you're ready, just dive in and quit. We're all here to support you. I am 12 days smoke free and the support here has been incredible but most importantly, I was ready. The beginning was very hard and there was a day that I had to stop working and line up all my daughter's pictures in front of me to keep from smoking and it worked.

You may need some more time to deal with your mother's passing before you're ready to quit but I promise, once you make that leap, you can get through the stressful times smoke free. Also, I think quitting would be a beautiful way to honor your mother.

I'm here along with a host of other people to support you. Good Luck!
0 Kudos
stacy

Keep your eye on the prize, girl! Those kids need you and love you so much. you can do this!
My mom had a stroke last year, she almost died. She survived but not without damage. Her mother died when my mom was 12 years old from a stroke. I never knew my grandmother because she smoked. I'm sure your mom would want you to quit and not go through what she just went through.
Hang in there and be strong!
0 Kudos
mary45

You are an amazing woman for starting this at such a hard time in your life. Good for you and I hope nothing but the best for you and your family. I have found it difficult to play with my boys as well I don't seem to have the same energy as i used to.
0 Kudos
cindy16

Good for you. I did the same thing before I quit. I changed my habits prior, I would not have my first cigarette right away. I would take a shower first. Then I started showering, unloading the dishwasher, throw in a load clothes before my first cigarette. I would not allow myself to smoke in the car or when I was talking on the phone. Then when I quit it seemed easier. It is getting cold here. I smoked outside so that is helping. My husband still smokes so that may be a challenge . So far so good. I bowl tonight. I hope all goes well tonight. I knwo what you mean about stress. I have been under stress too. I think I have a cyst on my ovarie. I go to the doctor on Tuesday. I have been a bit worried about that. I thought maybe that would make me smoke. So far so good. It has only been 13 days but really feeling good about my quit.I think this time I can do it. When is your quit date? We are here for you.
Cindy
0 Kudos