cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brian27

Looking for support

I'm new to this sight, in fact this is my first post. I haven't officially quit yet, I'm still in the "Track Your Cigarettes" phase, but I thought I'd get a jump start and make my first post. This isn't the first time I've attempted to quit smoking. I actually quit for over a year and just recently relapsed these last few months. Anyway, here I am again...back at it. I'm glad I found this site though, it seems like a good place to be for support. I guess there is no particular point to my post, I just wanted to put something out there. One question I do have on my mind however, is how soon after you finished the "Track Your Cigarettes" phase did you pick your official quit date? Any other tips you might have for a soon to be ex-smoker would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Brian
0 Kudos
5 Replies
brian27

Thanks for all your advice and support, I really appreciate it. I didn't know what to expect when I started that discussion thread, but I woke up this morning with 5 new comments already. Anyway, thanks again, it's nice to hear all of your tips.
Brian
0 Kudos
tami2

Hi Brian. This site really is helpful if you'll spend at least 5-10 minutes on it a day. and really participate in the discussions. Every morning when I get up, instead of having a cigarette with my coffee I grab my computer and go immediately to this site. After almost three weeks it has become a new habit and I intend to keep doing it even when I might think I don't need it anymore.
I picked my quit date for a couple of weeks after I started coming on this site. Give yourself enough time to really get prepared, formulate a plan, and get psyched up, but don't make it too far in the future, 2 or 3 weeks at the most. I think some people like to start making little changes in their routine ahead of time, like cutting back on smoking and practicing doing certain things without one. I didn't do it that way because I felt like that would drag the whole thing out longer. Whatever works for you though. Good luck and talk to you soon! Tami
0 Kudos
cindy25

I quit with the Ex plan here. I tracked my smokes for about 3 to 5 days. Then set a date for two or three weeks out. I really worked on my triggers- I took it very seriously. By the time my quit date rolled around, I was not smoking during my trigger times (I had not smoked in my car for o a week) and my smoking had cut down to 3 or 4 cigarettes per day. This made quitting MUCH easier than if I had not done the Ex plan. The goal is not to "cut down" but this naturally happens when you are more aware of your smoking, delay smoking when you can and don't smoke when you tend to "want" to. I used a few pieces of nic gum a day for the first week- then stopped that too. Make a plan that sounds like you will stick to - lots of support and ideas here. Welcome!
0 Kudos
polly2

Hiya Brian! Everybody is different. It's awesome that you are writing while you are tracking. There is a lot of support here. If you read through some of the posts, you will find a ton of answers concerning coping with cravings! My suggestion is that you spend as much time here reading posts and learning about what other people are doing or have done. Not only is this a physical addiction, but it is a mental one as well. It's very important that when you stop that you keep your mind armed with thoughts such as, "Smoking is not an option," or "NO = not one." I tracked my cigarettes for three days, identified my triggers and then just plunged in. I was so tired of smoking and didn't want to prolong it. However, like I said, everyone is different and most people don't do what I did. Whatever feels right for you is the key!! Keep on keeping on -- we'll be here for you when day one comes, K?
0 Kudos
polly2

Hiya Brian! Everybody is different. It's awesome that you are writing while you are tracking. There is a lot of support here. If you read through some of the posts, you will find a ton of answers concerning coping with cravings! My suggestion is that you spend as much time here reading posts and learning about what other people are doing or have done. Not only is this a physical addiction, but it is a mental one as well. It's very important that when you stop that you keep your mind armed with thoughts such as, "Smoking is not an option," or "NO = not one." I tracked my cigarettes for three days, identified my triggers and then just plunged in. I was so tired of smoking and didn't want to prolong it. However, like I said, everyone is different and most people don't do what I did. Whatever feels right for you is the key!! Keep on keeping on -- we'll be here for you when day one comes, K?
0 Kudos