cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

anaussiemom

I drink a shot of squeezed lemon juice or  so most mornings and  lots of water all day....Hoping lemon juice will help get rid of the 3000 or so chemicals out of my body from a cig.  As well as do you think it helps with physical withdrawals?  I get so anxious not smoking.  #emotional#anxious#emotional

0 Kudos
19 Replies
anaussiemom

I dont drink water and lemon much due to keeping my teeth... So not good for teeth Ive heard and read.   However I squeeze lemon and drink it down quickly, for detox I guess.
I know it doesnt work for emotions. Just kinda wondered if it helps flush out all the chemicals a lil"  more quickly from cigs.    #status_updates#lemon

0 Kudos
AlexM

Indeed everything that contains vitamin C (lemons, oranges, etc) can help in cleansing your lungs. Particularly pineapple is known to contain some enzyme that helps with lung detox. here's an article with different recipes

Myself I'm quite fond of eating fruits in the morning since long before quitting, so a fruit salad with lots of pineapple and vitamin C rich fruits makes me feel quite well. 

Ginger and basil tea also does wonders in cleaning the lungs, and there are quite a few other herbs.

It's also said foods like broccoli, onion and/or garlic can be very helpful.

And also running and breathing a lot of fresh air I guess 

All the best!

Alex.

Some other resources I found on this topic:

Daniela2016

Agree with AlexM‌, the vitamin C is great!  Smoking decreases our bodies' natural ability to absorb vitamins.

Smoking also contributes to Fatty liver.  A big glass of water with the juice of a lemon was recommended to me by the Naturopathic Dr for Liver Detox.  If you could work out even for 10 minutes in the morning, that will help with anxiety.  If you do not know about it check out one of the "Walk at home" DVDs  by Leslie Sansone http://walkathome.com/, it helped me many times when I could not go out and walk.

anaussiemom

Oh and thank you    Walking is great.  The wind chills are horrible right now.  So me and my dog are waiting patiently.  I use a stationary bike and weights.  Also have no way around house without steps so I guess it's pretty good so far as being able to get thru the nerves with exercise.  But emotionally Im so blue even with all the other means.

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

anaussiemom‌, I totally understand being blue.  Quitting smoking is a life changing journey, and I am one who had to ask for professional help while in early recovery.  There were so many changes happening in my body several months after I quit, I did not seem to be able to keep up with them.  I walked a lot, in 2016, in only 8 months I walked 1,000 miles, singing while walking, really happy for having quit, but also pushing for the dopamine I needed desperately after I quit.  Unfortunately many life events happened for me in quick sequence, and they pushed me over the edge, and I needed professional help. That involved anti-depressants and therapy.  Little did I know at the time I was developing Hashimoto's and that was making me blue more than quitting smoking did.  But I also picked up new hobbies, made as many changes as needed to replace the time spent smoking (I picked up coloring books for adults, I learned to meditate, started going to yoga classes).  You'll eventually find what works best for you, I am sure you will!

anaussiemom

Thank you so much for some new ideas.  Im so sorry for all that you have endured.  I have tried many times to stop.  I will continue to do so on my quit date My struggles are haunting.  However, getting so  much positive, enlightening, and support in just a few days, here.  I'm so grateful for hearing of this site.  I send you many blessings Daniela-3-11-2016

Gma_Bernie

Because lemon is acidic I would think that it would help break up some of the phlegm that comes from smoking. I haven't tried it myself but my sister swears by apple cider vinegar just a teaspoon in a glass of water every morning. And she's never smoked. But she claims that it keeps her digestive system clean. Good luck to you. And keep it up!

anaussiemom

According to what I've read same thing for  real lemon juice.  Seems to help with inflammation in throat and nose areas.  Works for me.  
Vinegar is suppose to be a good detox too.   No can do for me, i cant keep it down.  Hubby puts in his juice though, he seems to like it as a detox.  Idk.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
elvan

I also drink a shot of dill pickle juice when I have dill pickles.  I am not sure what it does but I actually LIKE it.

Ellen

Daniela2016

elvan‌, Ellen, one of my former co-workers told me he makes deviled eggs and uses a little of pickle juice (other than the yolks and mayo) and said they taste delicious.  I've learned to make them filed with liver pate, mustard, a little butter with the yolks, so because of the mustard they don't need another sour element.  But it sounded good when my co-worker described them