cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sharona

Learning New Ways of Handling Stress

Its been a while since I've started a new discussion.

I've been busy reading from whyquit.com and Alan Carr's book. Both of these cause me to do something: not want to smoke

The other day my child was screaming about something and I got upset. I grabbed a cig and went outside, thinking I was going to light up. Guess what happened? I didn't. I sat outside for about 10 minutes until I calmed down and then went back in the house and put the cig away. This is a BIG deal because I have never done this before. First time. I liked it. Smoking wouldn't have changed the way I felt anyway.

I was surprised but I felt very good that I was able to go through this situation and not turn to smoking to be a remedy.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
butterflybp2

Yeah!!!
0 Kudos
edith2

Grabbing a cigarette what automatic for me when I got upset. I got REAL upset at work last night. So I yelled and screamed and cried and talked to a friend. I noticed that after talking about it, I felt better. I don't do this all the time, but I learned years ago that when I get upset, to do a spot check on myself called HALT. Am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired? I was all four last night. Once I took care of the lonely and the hungry, the angry went away and then I took care of the tired later. You should feel good that you didn't smoke! Good for you!
0 Kudos
danielle28

Way to go Sharona!!! You should be VERY proud of yourself!!
0 Kudos
karen44

That's awesome Sharona. I'm glad you found a way to deal with the stress without a smoke! It's also great that you are reading on how to deal with this addiction of ours. Congratulations!
0 Kudos
sally3

0 Kudos