Give and get support around quitting

pahart12

LGBT

Congrats Rob!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
159 Replies
michael105

Normal   0         false   false   false                             MicrosoftInternetExplorer4             /* Style Definitions */  table.MsoNormalTable  {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";  mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;  mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;  mso-style-noshow:yes;  mso-style-parent:"";  mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;  mso-para-margin:0in;  mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;  mso-pagination:widow-orphan;  font-size:10.0pt;  font-family:"Times New Roman";  mso-ansi-language:#0400;  mso-fareast-language:#0400;  mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

I'm adding my blog post here for those people who only check into this area for support. Being out as gay since I was 16, I've always thought of myself as a rebel, because I came out at an age and at at a time when it was a lot more dangerous to do so. So I had to be sort of tough-skinned, and the cigarettes were a shield for that in-your-face sort of stand. Now that times have changed and I'm 45, I don't need that prop anymore, but I still have a fear that without it, I'll be vulnerable. These thoughts are what lead me to write the following:

Today is day nine, and I feel better physically. My breathing is already improved, and I smell clean, too. These are good things.

But the one thing I cannot get past is the psychological aspects of the quit. The little rebel that defined me is dead or dying. Why? Because I used to use cigarettes as a successful prop. I was adamant about having my freedom to smoke because everybody was telling me that I was somehow a lesser person because I did smoke. Don’t tell me I can’t do something, because I’ll do it more. I can feel this little rebel rise within me when people who have never smoked congratulate me for quitting. In my mind, they’re really telling me, “You see, we knew you’d eventually do what we say to do. Glad you’re falling into line.”

Now, I know that this is just another way my nicotine addiction is trying to get me to smoke again, and I’m glad I can be honest with myself about it. But it doesn’t stop the running yammer of the line that I’ll never be me anymore, that I won’t be the little rebel I took so much pride in. In fact, I think it would have been better to have quit when there wasn’t so much social pressure to quit smoking. Then I could have said convincingly that I’m doing it for myself, that nobody told me to do it. I wouldn’t feel like I’m giving those smug people the satisfaction of feeling responsible for my quit.

Of course, the only reason I’m writing this blog is to get the psychological sickness up and out of me. I know I wouldn’t have done it if I really didn’t want to quit. I’m writing it for you, too, if you’re a little rebel like me. We don’t need cigarettes polluting our lungs in order to take a stand against whatever we want to take a stand against. We can do it longer now, with louder voices, and be ourselves without an oxygen tank following behind us. We are stronger without smokes and don’t need them anymore to make a statement for our uniqueness and individuality.

Keep the Quit!

~Michael

0 Kudos
raefae23

Wow, guess the stats are true, the gays just don't quit... There hasn't been anyone here in a couple of days!  Sucks, really need the support

0 Kudos
angie46

i check it normally unless im super busy and if nobody says anything or i have nothing 2 say i dont post but i normally do look at it i didnt yesterday cause i had a real busy day

0 Kudos
ray11

Hey everyone,

I haven't Quit yet; fighting an oxycontin addiction first. Been off 5 days! If non-smoking is even 1/2 the hell this is, I don't know if I can do it.

Not much support (none actually) I live out in the middle of nowhere and raise horses. Can't even find Gay men, but the "bi"guys are  climbing out the woodwork--but won't offend and say what I think of "B" sexuality!!!!

Ray D

0 Kudos
ray11

lol but, sometimes; a bi guy is better than No Guy!  Sorry:)

Ray D

0 Kudos
ray11

Ray D. AGAIN: been reading the posts, whats the matter with you fags! Most of us can't keep our4 fool mouths shut!

It don't take that much to say a few kind, supportive words to your fellow GLBT, God knows we can use all the kind words we can get!

0 Kudos
ray11

Yeah, I know I talk!  Like the idea of Kicking Butts but think it should be Straight Butt we Kickin! A jock came in bar one night thinking he could harass us pansies; I took him up on it, went out side, beat the s--t out of him an tied him naked to a telephone pole and a rather nice sign I thought! Cops showed up but nobody knew anything; an the little prick was too embarassed that he got his Butt kicked by a Queer!

Ray D

0 Kudos
angie46

Ray D there is also a support group on this site 4 other addictions

0 Kudos
ray11

Thanx for the heads up Angie; I am in the "other Addictions" group.

But you know, I always prefer to be with my own Gay family; Straights do not always understand our lingo; Besides, I can be friends with a Breeder but will NEVER trust one!!!!

Ray D

0 Kudos
angie46

i know what u mean Ray D I quit smoking weed 6 months ago and i smoked all day everyday for 8 yrs it was the very 1st thing i did every morning even b4 my 1st cig of the day and the very last thing i did b4 i fell asleep and some nights i fell asleep with my sneak a toke and wake up in the middle of the night hit it and fall back 2 sleep. That was pretty much how i was able 2 stay on an even keel 4 so long cause I am bipolar and 4 all these years i have used weed 4 depression anxiety anger all the normal everyday emotions i was supposed 2 b having were all being bottled up and stored away and now that i have been clean all my emotions r surfcing and im a wreck but im learning how 2 deal with all that and yes i need some1 2 talk 2 sometimes but i dont feel like i have any1 2 talk 2 who understands. I used 2 have a big problem with pills called seroquel i had bad withdraws from that and i never wanna go through again i think that was harder than anything. I am also in the group 4 other addictions but i havnt said anything in there yet i was still pondering on what 2 say  cause most people think o u cant get addicted 2 pot.

0 Kudos