cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

freenhappy03

Keep starting again.

I stop for a few weeks then smoke for 1 day then stop again. The guilt kills me the next day. How do I get over the hump?

22 Replies
DiamondB

First thing is first. We Pray or whatever your high power is you ask that you have control of your mind. Once we conquer that FEAR we can began to breathe and regain confidence it's ok you're ashamed.  it means you know by Constantly failing at a SMOKE FREE Chance , you are better and when you know better you do better.  

Also consider getting off for a week clearing your lungs make a Doctor's Appt.  In advance for Chantix or Zyban! Combination therapy is great also the inhaler&pill will be perfect start for you. 

Blessings,

freenhappy03

Thank you for the input. Prayer is on the top of my to do list. I may have to pray all day everyday but I’m in.  Thanks for your help.  I’ve beat other addictions so I know I can beat this one. 

darnPainter

Absolutely. There is very little difference. Addiction is addiction.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome freenhappy03‌! Glad to see you on the EX Community. I see you've been a member of BecomeAnEX.org for quite a few years. Definitely curious what finally made you join the community.  Looking forward to seeing your quit journey unfold here.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
freenhappy03

Well to be honest health brought me back. Heart attack. Two stents later I knew I had to stop I’m so very fortunate that I had no major damage!! Just have to figure this out.  

Lisaml

I'm glad you're well , and those stents were all you needed. 

Just consider this; your blood vessels and your heart have told you they will NOT tolerate you smoking. The patency of your stents DEPENDS on your not smoking. You need to take it as an ultimatum. Please. Stented or compromised blood vessels will NOT maintain their patency if you continue to cause them damage. 

Smoking needs to be taken out of th realm of options for you. 

I don't mean to sound mean or blunt but after serious heart issues, you need to consider smoking as the life or death reality that it is. 

Best, 

lisa 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Take all the support you can get. Learn about addiction. Stop protecting your addiction. One day at a time, yes you can.

darnPainter

Those first few weeks I asked for help from a source that is bigger than my addiction to remove the compulsion to smoke. I said it OUT LOUD and frequently. Then I began to examine the motivating fear behind the craving. I looked at it squarely. Nine times out of ten, the reasons were unjustified when I closely, consciously, consciously being a big one, payed attention to the LIE!!!. This took much practice, but I was very motivated because I was tired of putting toxic life threatening crap into my body. It sounds like you have a serious vital reason to quit. What with clogged arteries and all. But I also understand addiction. Some how, we addicts think we will quit in time. Be the exception to the rule, or a whole host of other lame alibis. That's the delusional outstanding feature of addiction to anything that keeps us killing ourselves against our own will. Nicotine addition had actually highjacked my choice making powers. NO MORE!!!! Please start your quit again. Guilt is a useless emotion. Drop it. Especially if you think of this as a moral failing. It's not, It's simply a dis-ease. Never give up on trying vtk4ooj6of 

John 75 dof after 38 years of sacrificing my free will to Effing tobacco.

Barb102

OMG how awful for you to be stopping and starting. All you need is to make it through one whole day. You can do it Drop the guilt it never helps. If you don’t have a smoking aid , NRT or prescription RX please speak with your doctor. I didn’t last many days before but I didn’t have aids and this site.  You will do this. Like the Met Fan I am always says “you gotta believe!”

we are all here for you

Barb

ampan75

it's fear and not guilt. you fear to relapse . how big it can get, as full blown relapse makes you terrifie.