cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Powerman4516

Just trying to quit today after 20 years

Is it okay to smoke a little when using the patched?

16 Replies
Gwenivere

Essentially, you can, but you are defeating the purpose for the patch.  I did that before I committed by cutting down on cigs so the nicotine intake was the same.  If you are using the patch AND smoking the same you would be looking at an overdose possibility.  I dropped the 3 cigs I was smoking for lozenges in tough times.  I’m not sure what you are trying to accomplish because you can’t say you quit.  You are still a smoker.  As has been drilled into me here (thanks for that everyone) the only thing going into your lungs should be air.  I’ve read studies that even 1 cigarette causes more damage.  So I’m baffled.  What are you trying to actually do?  I’m on the patch combo, so I’m not nicotine free, but I am free of the toxins they add to make it more addictive, and unless I cave I can at least say I’m a non smoker.

DonnaMarie

Hi there and welcome! I'd read what the package of patches says, but you're doubling up on the nicotine if you smoke and use patches. I wouldn't do both myself. 

Congrats on making the decision to quit. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Donna

Day 40

Lauralives

Congrats on deciding to quit.  All these wonderful people have given great advice.  I love what Sootie said.  And please remember, NOPE NOT ONE PUFF EVER!!  Hang in there and come here regularly!!  

Giulia

Although logic and wisdom  dictate that using the patch while smoking is not the wisest thing to do, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it - apparently the FDA (for what that's worth) says it's ok to do so. 

"Many smokers need to experiment with different NRT options before finding one that works for their individual needs. NRTs are considered safe enough that multiple methods9—for instance the patch and the gum—can be used at the same time, and you may start using NRT prior to quitting cigarettes.10 "  Quitting Smoking: Closer with Every Attempt 

================================================= 

Another article on the subject from 2013 in the LA Times:

"Millions have worn the nicotine patch, chewed the gum or sucked on the lozenge as a way to wean themselves off cigarettes. But millions more have ripped off the patch or spit out the gum or lozenges because they slipped and smoked a cigarette, and believed the warning labels that suggested the combination was dangerous.

Don't worry, the Food & Drug Administration said Monday. Keep using the patch, gum or lozenges and keep trying to quit, even if you're still smoking: there's no danger to using both, at least for a short period.

The new directions to quitters amend warning labels that nicotine-replacement therapies have carried on their labels since they were first introduced to the U.S. market almost three decades ago. Those labels cautioned consumers not to use nicotine-replacement products if they continued to smoke or chew tobacco, and urged them to stop smoking or chewing tobacco completely once they began to use the nicotine replacement product.

Those warnings, the FDA said Monday, aren't necessary anymore in light of new data on nicotine-replacement therapy's safety. Smokers who slip up and smoke while wearing the patch or chewing the gum shouldn't discontinue their use of nicotine-replacement therapy -- a move that could derail their efforts to quit, said the FDA. They should continue to use them and keep trying to quit." 

The same relaxed safety warnings apply to the common practice of using two nicotine-replacement products at the same time: those who feel they need to supplement the willpower that comes in the patch with some nicotine gum can do so safely, said the FDA."  Nicotine replacement: safe, even if you smoke, says FDA - latimes 

=============== 

If you read the instructions on Nicoderm CQ, for example, it says: 

"The whole reason to use NicoDerm CQ is to quit smoking. Once you’ve made the decision to quit, you should choose a date to stop smoking and start using NicoDerm CQ that day. It is okay if you slip-up and have a cigarette. You can still continue your quit attempt and keep using NicoDerm CQ as directed. Just throw away your cigarettes and get back to your quit plan. The FDA has determined that there are no significant concerns with using NRT products like NicoDerm CQ at the same time as another nicotine-containing product like a cigarette.  Frequently Asked Questions | Nicoderm CQ   (emphasis mine)

=============================== 

There are a lot of very wise quitters on here.  Most suggest it's not a good idea to smoke while on the patch.  Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you should.  I would encourage you to pay attention to them.

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

I’m so glad you posted this Giulia.  People do need to be aware of too much nicotine, but those that become experts on quitting, they are not medical personnel.  I had checked this out before I quit the cigs and used patches.  3-4 cigs a day did not pose a risk.  You are right tho, because you can doesn’t mean it is a wise choice.  

I hope Powerman replies so all these helpers had more of an idea of what he was doing and why.  

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Seems to defeat the purpose.

Barb102

In my opinion NO.   Quitting is Not one puff ever. Otherwise it’s just cutting back. Plus I’m not sure medically you should smoke with the patch. Let us help you quit