cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ld07

Just starting and need help

I am new to the group - so Hi!  I know I need to quit for my health and for my family.  I can't say I really want to quit... how do you get to the point of saying "OK I'm ready to quit!"  I'm looking for support to get to the very first step.

17 Replies
Roller831

BE IT UNTIL YOU SEE IT!  Take one step, and then another, until it gets you to where you want to go.

There is a great blog out there for our new quitters.  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/109313-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-t...‌. You may also want to check out posts in https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex?sr=search&searchId=60c690a9-aa06-4190-9036-83b8...‌.  We are here to help you on this journey to freedom!  

Welcome!  I know when I first found this site, many Elders told me to read read read….and I did.  Elders are those with one or more years of being quit.  If you like what someone has to say, then you may want to read their blogs.  I have some listed below.

A list of our Elders  ELDER'S LIST

So here's the thing.....and you may not like what I am about to say....and that's ok.  I get it.  You need to accept that this is an addiction.  Before you do that, it will be much more difficult to quit and stay quit. 

Read read read.  Do the steps to PREPARE yourself to quit.  Do the steps so you are PREPARED on quit day and for the days AFTER quit day.  

Some of the things I read in my first few days that helped me:

Dale’s Welcome to New Members https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/68188-my-welcome-to-new-members-10-years-of-wisdom-?sr=se...

@youngatheart.7.4.12 Nancy’s Blog /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=d410...

JonesCarpeDiem Dale’s Blog /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months?sr=search...

JACKIE1-25-15 gave me the link to Alan Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”.  I actually didn’t read the online PDF, but purchased a book on CD from Amazon and listened to it in my car over and over again for the first two weeks of my quit. 

Keep this site close and keep posting and asking for help.  You will get it.  You will get things you like and things you don't like, but don't give up!!!  We have been through similar experiences and can share our strength and hope.  We are here to support you!

Roller

JACKIE1-25-15

One way to get to the first step is to allow logic to overrule the addiction.  Smoking does not make any sense. I literally looked at the cigarette and said how stupid it was and had my last one.   Go figure. Smoking dried leaves dipped in chemicals wrapped in white paper does not make a lot of sense. Aah we were duped. 

cat52

I had wanted to quit like you for a long time. I knew it was better for my health and my family, but I couldn't commit to quitting until I was ready to do it for ME! I actually picked my birthday as my quit day and told myself this was a present to myself and that I was worth it. I am 3 weeks into my quit and I am not going to pretend it has been easy, but it gets better and better everyday. When I feel tempted, I try to think about how I will feel if I don't quit and I get emphysema and have to take an oxygen tank with me everywhere just to breathe or have to do chemo and radiation for lung cancer or have to talk through a hole in my neck because of throat cancer. Love yourself enough to not take these chances with your life. You can do it and I will be here to support you. I don't have it all figured out, but I do know that coming to this site and all the support you get from other ex's who understand is getting me through it - ONE DAY AT A TIME!  Cat t52

Read,research, watch videos,etc...make a list of why you want to quit.

Finding this Site after checking out many,provided the little push I needed to take the plunge!

Here in 1 place found endless resources and assistance. A tremendous support system.

Everyone's journey is different. I gradually cut back as my Quit Day approached.

For me that was a positive step. The gratitude journal has been very helpful me.

Coming here and reading, strengthens my journey. I filled a toolbox with all the things

I felt would be helpful to me. I cut back on caffeine months ago, because I wanted to keep my coffee.

I stocked up on gum (always was a gum chewer)  Hard candies, some crunchy stuff

(YOU GET THE IDEA) I started some new needlework. Went back to some interests

I never had time to pursue.  Increased my exercise time per week.  I'm a New Quitter Feb. 5,2018

It is the Kindest Thing I've Ever Done for myself!!!! My road on this journey is full of twists,

turns, hills, valleys and potholes! My POINT is: I AM MAKING IT!  I Feel Different about this QUIT!!!!

I HOPE SOMETHING MEMBERS have posted Helps you. Prairie

Wendyjok

WELCOME 

I planned my quit 6 weeks prior to actually quitting. Believe me when I tell you what these awesome people already have....DO YOUR  HOMEWORK!!!! CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH. The more you KNOW before quitting the better. I will be smoke free 14 days tomorrow. I' not going to bullshit you.....ITS HARD.... DAMN HARD. But it does get easier i promise! Hang in there!

0 Kudos
ld07

Thank you - haven't started yet; going out of town, and just not there....

0 Kudos
Wendyjok

Have you thought any more about taking your first step?

0 Kudos

29 days of Freedom.   Not missing act of smoking.     Where are you gals at?  PrairieRoseLady 

Stopped here in Colby KS.  Until snow/blizzard conditions off ND SD and NE.   Nice Days Inn Here

0 Kudos