cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

raychel

Just need to talk and some support

My most recent blog entry pretty much explains it all.

I had a slip. 2.5 days into it. Yeah made me feel pretty hopeless there for a minute.

I know there are no excuses. In fact I feel pretty sick after I slipped in a different way than feeling sick from withdrawal symptoms. Headache, feel like puking, very anxious now.

Since I put nicotine back in my body, I thought about it and decided to try NRTs. There seems to be a lot of things saying oh but people have more success stopping cold turkey. I felt like I was losing my mind these past couple days...all I could do was sleep and my brain was so foggy. I started getting very anxious thinking what if this doesn't go away in 4-5 days...

I just feel sick and sad. I want a life where cigarettes are not a focus... either smoking them or not smoking them. It must be so nice to have never smoked...never been addicted. I envy those people so much.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
bugzy2341

naa, dont be so hard on yourself , noone is perfect.
I had given up on stopping smoking and when i did stop i was smoking 5 + packs a day., it was just wierd how i stopped. (took silver fillings out)

i had tried many times to stop and i just gave up, before i did. And i stopped by accident, so anything is possible

Raychel , there are enough people in this world that will try to put you down. you dont need to add yourself to those others. This is your journey , and noone says its gunna be easy. Just take a deep breath and get ready to try again.
you'll get there. they say practice makes perfect no? sooo take it as your practicing to stop till you do. 🙂 you'll be ok
0 Kudos
doreen1

Its very normal to feel sleepy and foggy when you first quit. I felt like I was sleeping more than a baby. Its just your body ridding itself of the toxins and healing. Be patient, it will get better. Don't beat yourself up over your slip. Learn from your mistake, understand what it was that caused you to slip, ♫ pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again ♫. One thing to keep in mind, though. Every slip sends you back to the beginning - you body has to start all over ridding itself of the toxins. So, don't give up.

Photobucket AND
Photobucket Photobucket IF YOU NEED US!!
0 Kudos
mary-roberts

I kno-w for a fact it is really hard to quit. because I've been smoking for 27yrs. You wouldn't belive what I did today.
I went to my mothers house to help clean up because she die on mothersday. the whole time I was there didn't
even think about a cig .Didn't smoke from 9:00am-3:00pm.When I got home and started thinking about my mom
thats when I lite a cig.And now I'm upset with myself for doing that.
0 Kudos
erika5

I know girl but hang in there. I feel so very sick right now and I didn't even know that it was because of quitting until just 30 minutes ago when I looked it up online. I had just never put 2 and 2 together. Quitting is so tough and there have been times when I just knew that I wouldn't have made it through the day without the patch. I know that it sounds kind of like an old granny but I took up crocheting to keep my hands busy. I still find times that I'm reaching for a smoke out of habit but I just try to put my mind somewhere else and the craving goes away pretty quickly. I'm just having trouble with being sick, I hate this feeling and want it to go away. I wish I knew of a way to speed up this process but I don't. I'm like you and wish that I had never ever started but there is nothing we can do but quit now and make a better future. Hang in there.

Erika
0 Kudos
manofsteele

have you writen down the reasons for your quit?

if not you might try it because its different for most people.

whats your new plan of attack? what will you do differently this time?

if something doesnt change you will continue to slip

I would suggest more reading, pledging daily not to smoke in front of others, trying to find a quit buddy and finding some way to release some stress. Here are some groups that might help you make your smoke free journey a more successful one this time....

http://community.becomeanex.org/group/dailypledge

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Pledge - Quit Party Central - Relapse Traps
Game Room Quit Reasons - Thanks and Praise
Tough Luv - Words of Wisdom - Find a Quit Buddy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Great Reading - http://www.tobacco-facts.info/
For a Free Quit Keeper - http://dedicateddesigns.com/qk/

YOU CAN DO IT ... we can help .....just ask ! 5.4 Million die due to smoking related causes every year. That's 2000 times a 9/11

ps- if you still have cigs or lighters or ashtrays ..chunk them all... makes excuses so much easier

peace
0 Kudos
manofsteele

have you writen down the reasons for your quit?

if not you might try it because its different for most people.

whats your new plan of attack? what will you do differently this time?

if something doesnt change you will continue to slip

I would suggest more reading, pledging daily not to smoke in front of others, trying to find a quit buddy and finding some way to release some stress. Here are some groups that might help you make your smoke free journey a more successful one this time....

http://community.becomeanex.org/group/dailypledge

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Pledge - Quit Party Central - Relapse Traps
Game Room Quit Reasons - Thanks and Praise
Tough Luv - Words of Wisdom - Find a Quit Buddy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Great Reading - http://www.tobacco-facts.info/
For a Free Quit Keeper - http://dedicateddesigns.com/qk/

YOU CAN DO IT ... we can help .....just ask ! 5.4 Million die due to smoking related causes every year. That's 2000 times a 9/11

ps- if you still have cigs or lighters or ashtrays ..chunk them all... makes excuses so much easier

peace
0 Kudos
sherri10

Raychel,

They say that the chemicals are supposed to be out of your body after the 3rd day. For me, the last time I tried to quit before this time, it took an entire month for me to start feeling more normal again. I did it cold turkey then and I started again anyway. I have also read that cold turkey is reportedly more successful, but this time I decided to use the patch. There was NO WAY I was going to go through what I went through the last time! What I have found is that I still have to deal with making a lot of changes and dealing with life without cigarettes. I still had to deal with the mental part.

This site has been of immeasurable help to me!

These things also helped me.

For anxiety/ depression- exercise
The urge to smoke, I 'smoked' a straw, extremely affective!
Chew lot's of bubble gum. I went through 20 whole packs the first week. Every single time I wanted to light up, I reach for gum. Now, I have the urge to chew gum when I used to have the urge to smoke!

I have been quit for 1 Month, 5 Days, 22 hours, 45 minutes and 33 seconds (36 days). I have saved $443.37 by not smoking 2,216 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week, 16 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/7/2008 1:15 AM
0 Kudos
raychel

Thank you guys.

Honestly I should have came here and posted my feelings before having a little insanity lapse and lighting up yesterday.

But on the plus side I feel more more committed than ever. Having those few puffs reinforced why I wanted to quit. Immediately after I did that, my chest felt so tight & hurty... it scared me to be honest heh

I did go get me some NRTs (using Commit Lozenge now). It has already helped take the edge off and honestly I feel better prepared knowing that I have a small safety net. Maybe I am not meant to go at it CT this time. That is okay.
0 Kudos
mary-roberts

IT is really, really hard. Sometimes I find myself not wanting a cig. for like 2 days than after that i find myself right back where I started from.
0 Kudos