cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

airmanbiker

Just beginning to quit...

Today is my third day without cigarettes.  Its been tough at first but with my wife quitting with me, it has been easier to let go and become smoke free.  I'm learning what my triggers are, handling them as they come.  I'm suprised at the times that lighting up was automaticly done, without thinking.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
pumpkin6689

Congrats to you & your wife on your third day!!!!!!!.     How exactly do you go about committing to a quit date????

I just joined yesterday so have not committed to a quit day yet.   Just getting my feet wet and jogging down my triggers.

By writting down when I had a cig yesterday is actually made me aware of the association not necessary the nicotine cravings.   I was able to cut down on my first day from at least a pack to 11 cigarettes in total yesterday.    I have been up for over an hour today and my body is craving a cigarette but I have been able to hold off so far but I don't know for how long

Do the cravings get any better as the days go by because I find it amazing that you open your eyes in the morning and the first thing on your mind is having a cigarettes .   It's nut !!!!!

0 Kudos
pmari

pumpkin6689 ,Wishing you the best at quitting (correction) on my blog. 

0 Kudos
airmanbiker

Well, it's my fourth day without cigaretts and today has been much easier than the first few days.  I believe my wife and I will be sucessful at quitting.  I can already tell a diffrence in the way things taste better and my sense of smell is getting keener.  I enjoy the fresh air much more now.

0 Kudos
mavin

Today is my REAL third day without a ciggarette. I feel pretty slow today, like I am kind of walking in a bog. What I have noticed though is that I am doing things that I haven't done before in a while. First of all I ate breakfast with my cup of coffee! I have been listening to my music. I worked out and stretched. I wrote some e-mails. I am taking it easy on myself because I know that my body is withdrawing from the nicotine and a very old friend. I'm drinking alot of water. Today has definitely been easier than yesterday and I am not as scared about letting go.

0 Kudos
airmanbiker

Today has been the easiest day yet.  I had no cravings for a cigarette up until noon.  I used a lozengen (the firat one of the day) and that took care of the craving.  Tonight I feel a little stressed because my step-son has been staying with us for the fourth day and he goes back to where he stays tomorrow.  He has overstayed his visit this time and that stresses me.  If it wern't for the patch and the lozenges I might have lit up.  I have to remind myself why I'm quiting smoking and bear down the urges that trigger me lighting up.  Not having any cigatetts around is a good help too.  It gives me time to think things over and I usually regain my resolve to quit smoking. 

My wife seems to have the least trouble, except in the mornings she craves a cigarette, but she will chew nicotine gum to get over it.  She seems to be a powerhouse of self control and inspires me to hang in there and not smoke.

One day I know we will not need our aids and be cigatette and nicotine free. 

0 Kudos
airmanbiker

I'm on day seven, being smoke free.  I have momnents when I visualize lighting up a cigarette, but I try to keep in mind how far Ive gotten and what my goals are and why I set those goals.  The physicial cravings aren't as bad as the have been.  The patches I use along with the lozenges are helping to keep the psycial part at point that makes it easier to resist lighting up.  I don't keep cigatettes around so it's not easy to use one.

My wife is doing better than I am.  She has gone all day not smoking and hasn't used any nicotine gum either.

0 Kudos
airmanbiker

Today has been a challeng.  For some reason my cravings were stronger than they have been since I quit.  I relied on my patch and I've used more lozengs that usual.  I'm still gong hange in there and choose to not smoke.  Hopefully, as time passes, Days like today will lessen.

0 Kudos
airmanbiker

Well, I had another sucessful day staying smoke free.  I had a stressful moment this evening and earlier today I wanted to celeberate.  Both times I was able to resist lighting up.  I believe those are the strongest triggers; when I'm stressed and when I want to celebrate.  I've gotten over the automatic reflex of lighting up and I no longer reach for a cigarette not thinking.

My wife is doing good at staying smoke free.  She tells me of times that she wants to smoke but so far she has not.  She not using the nicotine gum at all or any thing else except Freedent gum when her cravings get too strong.

I believe we have a good handle on quitting; we just have to be mindfull of our triggers and replace the reaction with something else until the urge ceases.

I been thinking about when I will be weaned off the patch and lozenges.  It stays in the back of my mind, because I don't know what to expect.  So far I've relied on the lozenges and patches to keep me smoke free, but the doctor I see says, they will do it gradualy and then I will have to rely on what I've learned and my desire to stay smoke free.

0 Kudos
airmanbiker

I having trouble with thinking of smoking.  I don't know if when I am taken off the patches and lozengens I will be able to resist the erge to smoke when I think of it.  Maybe the program I'm in will prepare me for that.  I really do not want to smoke again.

I'm 56 years old and I was smoking since I was 13.  It was a part of me that I enjoyed.  I know I need to quit; for myself as well as doing it for my wife and her health.

0 Kudos