cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

laxplayer

Just another addict

Hi my name is Peter and I am grateful recovering alcoholic. 17 years ago I had enough and said when. It was suggested to give up only one addiction at a time. Well many years later I have I decided to give up smoking. I have quit several times in the past only to start again.  I always had some excuses as to why it was all right to have a cigarette. I didn't quit drinking on my first try either. On March 31, I made the decision to throw away the cigarettes and quit smoking cold turkey. I can honestly say that, I am finding it much harder to quit smoking than it was for me to quit drinking. It may also be that it really was this difficult 17 years ago and that as time passed it just seemed easier. Either way, today I consider myself a grateful recovering addict that has not had a cigarette since March 31.  I commend all of those who remain smoke free, whether it is 1 day or 1 year. Although the cravings have come I say to myself just for today I am not going to smoke. It helps immensely reading the blogs knowing that these cravings are normal and that they shall pass.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
smechapp

I quit a few days ago and because alcohol was such a "trigger" I decided to knock off the drinking as well.  I feel great now, other than the occasional sleeplessness, grouchiness, headaches, etc...my energy is up and I'm really liking not having that vague hungover feeling every day.

I realized that drinking is probably just as much of an issue for me as smoking.  I must say I will stay on the sobriety kick for a while since it's making me feel so good!

Anyway, congratulations on taking this step.  Hang in there, and try to relish the positive effects of "clean living..." that's what I plan to do.  : )

0 Kudos