Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kody2

January Quitters

THIS MY 2ND START  WILL JOIN YOU ON QUIT DATE

Tags (1)
478 Replies
pj58

Morning all.  Hope everyone is hanging in.  I am at 109 hours cigs and nicotine free, and my biggest challange is not feeling like something is missing, like "what is wrong with this picture" when I realize I am not smoking.  After so many years of smoking being second nature, it just seems so odd to not be lighting up.  When it really starts to bug me I take a few hits off my ecig (non nicotine cartridge) or go to "Why Quit" web site or here and it does help.  Matter of fact I found something at "Why Quit" that helped me, maybe it will help some of you.

"

There is a detailed cessation effects study by Marcia M. Ward, entitled "Self-reported abstinence effects in the first month after smoking cessation," published in Addictive Behaviors, 26 (2001) at pages 311-327.  Its findings are fascinating.  For example, it may be difficult to believe but, on average, anxieties peak on day one (within 24 hours) and, for most, within two weeks return almost to pre-cessation levels.  Regarding anxiety, be sure you understand why ex-smokers only need half the amount of caffeine as smokers ( discussion link ). Irritability, often anxiety's aftermath, seems to peak at about 48 hours while restlessness peaks at 72 hours. According to the study, both begin hovering back around pre-cessation levels within two weeks. 

So it would appear that if we can all Hang In for 2 weeks, we could feel like we did before we quit.  Hope this is helpful.  Hang in everyone!    PJ

0 Kudos
kellis

Day 2 and I still feel pretty good. Just finding something to do with my hands has been hard. Wish I could sleep for a week and get past some of the cravings. I printed off a quit smoking timeline of how your body heals after quiting. After 48 hrs my taste and smell get better!! Good Luck to everyone!!

0 Kudos
jerrybeth

Afternoon folks!  Quit Sundaynight, still focused...but there are times I'm so tempted to go to town and buy a pack...Last night was my birthday.  My guys bought me an icecream cake and took me to supper...but after supper, my husband and I were really craving a ciggerette...we sucked it up, went to Walmart and loaded down on tools...dumdums, gum, more patches, straws, toothpicks, and bottled water.  Wasn't this hard to start, but quitting...It's bazzar to me how hard it is to quit...We're on day 4...my husband was my smoking buddy, so it only stood to reason we'd quit together...We've tried the Nicorette gum...Major heartburn...we tried Chantex...Bazzar nightmares...we decided we would do the patch and after reading some of the blogs we found on here, loaded up on candy and the before mentioned.  Funny, only into day 4 and I can smell things that I never noticed before...like our cars...our main trigger point for smoking...we threw away the ash tray...never realized how bad ciggerette butts smell.  All of you are inspiring...Thank you!  

0 Kudos
pj58

Nicotine addicts are such bizarre people, case in point, myself.  Really for the first time in 111 hours 30 min of cig and nicotine freedom, I have this morning started to feel kinda light hearted, proud, strong even, but being an addict when I start to feel those ways some little voice in my head says, "you don't deserve to feel that way, if you had quit 15 years ago or 20 years ago you would deserve those feelings, but you waited till you were 58, so you DO NOT deserve them."  How sad is that.  Does anyone else suspect it is the addiction trying to draw me back by denying me the pleasure of the quit.  How do I counteract that voice?   Hang in everyone.        PJ

0 Kudos
gonnaquit

Day 6!!!

Really ... day 6!  I can't believe this is actually working.  I have tried to quit so many times and this year I think I have got it!!!  I feel so much better.  I can actually smell the clean sheets on my bed and sounds silly... but MY HAIRSPRAY! 

0 Kudos
cowboy88

wat can i do to stop im so tired of feeling like crap my girl wants me to stop or she will leave me wat can i do

0 Kudos
rattler

Day 6 and I survived a night of darts without having a cigarette.  Seems to help that I also decided not to partake of alcohol for the 1st month of not smoking.  Had to get out of my smokey clothes immediately when I got back home.  It was really nice to wake up without "ashtray" breath this morning.  It is getting better, forgot how good my perfume smells. 

0 Kudos
pbmissouriman

My first posting of my new life cigarette free. So far I have made it 4 days after smoking for 33 years. I will be 50 on January 8th, so this is not a new years resolution for me its a birthday present. I am not having terrible withdrawl im having that feeling of "right now I would light up a cig" and I do something else. I even live with a smoker who is not making the attempt and that has not bothered me. Words of wizdom anyone? Im determ,ined this time I know it will be the best thing for my life. I also have a bowl full of lemon drops on my table, my dentist may hate me but my pulmonary doctor is going to love me! Best of luck to everyone.

0 Kudos
pj58

Cowboy 88-  a few things that you might find helpful 1.) go to the whyquit.com web site and look at the picutres, listen to the stories, read the advise on what nicotine addiction is, how it works and how to beat it, read about how you body will heal a lot of the damage you have done to it 2.) Read Allen Carr's book "How to Stop smoking the Easy Way", and 3) you are already doing, coming to people who are in the same boat as you and are learning new things about being smoke free every minute they go thru it.  Hope this helps.          Hang in           PJ

0 Kudos
bbluz79

Well, I am here to start my year without smoking. This isn't a "New Years Resolution", but rather a wish from my father who passed away December 1, 2009 from cancer. I had stopped smoking for 9 months before his diagnosis, but started when the stress of his health decline started. I have 3 boys who need me to be the best mother I can be. I an done smoking, but need the support to help me through those days when I just need to whine about wanting a smoke to those who understand! Thanks to all who offer words of encouragement!

Michelle

0 Kudos