cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Linches27

It’s day one for me. Why do I feel like it’s not the right thing to do, by quitting? Like things will get worse, health wise. Am I crazy?

People, and thoughts have lead me to believe it is wrong to quit, please help me.  

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Strudel

Reading the Carr book that Nancy mentioned taught me that smoking had never given me anything! Nicotine had brainwashed me into thinking that it was giving me so much! I was SO wrong! You can do this and you can end up being very happy doing it! Stick around! 

YoungAtHeart

Don't just throw those cigarettes away!  Put them under running water and then break them into mushy pieces.  You don't need the temptation.  Keeping even one around is giving yourself permission to smoke it!

See you tomorrow!!!

Giulia

"People, and thoughts have lead me to believe it is wrong to quit,"  

Wrong?  In what way?  Then I would ask you, why are you here?  Something within you knows better.  Trust that better instinct.

"Why do I feel like it’s not the right thing to do, by quitting? Like things will get worse, health wise."  Because quitting is scary.  And our addiction does everything it can to perpetuate itself.  Including lying to us.  Step aside from your fear for a moment and really think about what you've just said using your logical, intellectual mind, as opposed to your emotional  needy mind.  Things will get worse, health wise?  Really?  In what way?  Please list the things you truly believe will get worse health wise by quitting smoking.  A lot of us would like to know.  And maybe we can help alleviate those fears from examples from our own quits.

Linches27

It kinda like having a messy room, you clean it than you notice how messy it was, my lungs, I quit smoking, than my body notices how messy it was.I’m losing my mind just a little.Plus I feel like, it’s a mental issue, maybe a shrink?I have an alcohol problem too, it’s like I can’t quit unless I fix something else too.Btw, I’ve had noooo support, till now. My whole family smokes, and they act like it’s good for them, it’s unreal, like they don’t even try to quit, smh. I’m throwing my cigarettes and lighter away every day, than I buy more.

Sent from Xfinity Connect App

maryfreecig

Well now you have quit support!

0 Kudos
Linches27

Thanks, I’m trying

Sent from Xfinity Connect App

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

I have done the same many times.

0 Kudos
etdoesgood13

Just wanted to respond here, too, since I saw the thing about the alcohol. I struggle with mental health issues, and get switching from one negative thing to another, or overall feeling that you're an easy target for "vices". That's why I'm thinking it'd help to start a positive feedback loop with some good habits.

Gwenivere

I never thought cigarettes were harming me as much as they were.  Easy thing to think when I was young.  I was immortal of course.   Things started changing 20+ years later.  I didn’t recover from colds like others, often getting bronchitis or pneumonia.  I couldn’t exercise as easily as I could.  But it was habit.  Now I have a pulmonologist for my COPD.  I sometimes wonder if I glow at night from X-rays and CT scans.   As Giulian said, that you are here says something inside you knows you can’t possibly get less healthy by not smoking.  

I only disagree on using patches and other replacements even if they equal what you smoked at 1mg per cigarette if you are finding this terribly hard.  I use them and plan on attacking the nicotine later.  I’m at less than I was than on cigarettes as the absorption rate is less than 100%.  Plus mine are 14mg (my former cig count) per 24 hours and I don’t sleep with it so knock off about 5mg.  For now, it’s stopping the inhalation of smoke and the addditives have been included to keep us hooked.  

All just my opinion.  

Giulia

Quitting is definitely a mental issue!  lol  A lot of us suggest that if you can't drink in moderation, it's best not to drink during the initial stages of a quit.  Many of us gave up drinking during the first month or two.  So abstaining from both is a good idea!  And who knows, you might break the back of both addictions at the same time.  Wouldn't THAT be a boon!  Trust your instincts.  They rarely lead us wrong.  If you think a shrink would help - find a shrink.  Re your family of smokers - they're just in denial.  You're not, and that's good.