cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kim1028

It really is easy

Hi all! I joined almost two years ago, 3/23/18 to be exact and quit on 3/31/18.

This is actually my first post here. I log in occasionally to read others posts and today I just felt that I had to say something.

There are so many of you posting about withdrawal, cravings, keeping busy, counting days etc. You sound like you're suffering and I'm here to tell you that it's all just so unnecessary.

Back when I joined here the first thing I did was start reading. I read every post and every comment. While reading I stumbled upon a recommendation of a book called Easy Way.

Whoever that was that put out that recommendation, thank you!

Yeah, a book about how to quit and easily at that. Funny stuff right there right? 

Let me give you a little background on my smoking. I smoked for 40 years. I smoked a lot, easily 30 a day or more. I knew it was bad for me when I started but back then it was the cool thing to be doing. Later, I developed the lovely smokers cough and coughed while I smoked. I knew I really should quit doing it and probably tried to quit only 2 or 3 times because really I was convinced (and so was my family) that I couldn't do it since I'd been doing it for so long. So naturally after a half a day I would pull in to that gas station and buy a pack before I died of withdrawal. 

You probably already see where I'm going with this right? Sounds pretty dumb doesn't it?

So, back to when I joined here and found the book. I downloaded it and read that I should keep smoking  while reading this book. So I set my quit date for the 31st and then l started to feel the usual dread and fear, LOL! I've set the date,I now I've committed! The day will start to draw nearer and I will have to do it! Hehehe! Oh, I can laugh about it now but it was real. I felt it, lived it for years every time I planned to quit. So, I started reading this book and smoked and smoked! I was going to smoke all I could before I had to stop. Some people think that cutting down helps but I wasn't going to go out like that. So I smoked and smoked and read and read. I planned to finish this book by the night of the 31st and have my last one that night and go to bed. That was always my quitting plan, smoke right up til bed time and start fresh the next morning as a non smoker. 

Well, I finished that book at about 10:00 p.m. and had about 5 precious cigarettes left in the pack and guess what? I didn't want them.

I gave them to my husband and said "I'm going to bed, goodnight" I haven't smoked again since that day. No cravings, no withdrawal, nothing!

It really is all you and your mind doing this to yourself and keeping you smoking, making you feel awful and telling yourself that you can't do it.

If you are one of the people who posted about trying to keep busy, trying to not think about it, having withdrawal, you are looking at the whole quitting thing the wrong way! Please do yourself a favor and find the download of the book and read it. You really have nothing to lose except a bad habit.

Sorry for such a long post but I just felt that maybe if I step up and say something it might possibly help someone who is struggling. You don't need to, it really is easy.

13 Replies
Maki

Congrats on your quit . It's great . 

I must say I too did not like Allen Carrs book ( I bought the book ) and thats ok , that's ok  but I understand it can be the ticket to helping others . It did you and for that I'm grateful and if it helps others then I'm grateful for that as well . 

I did however ( like you ) and others here read and read about addiction . I read posts from the elders and posts within posts . I kept distracted as much as possible . That I guess was my tool . Of course I did a lot of delaying by replacing temptation to smoke with distraction . 

For some I've heard that walking was their life saver . l did not walk in the beginning as I didn't even want to leave the house for a couple of weeks for fear of scaring the neighbors to death lol ... but I see how much that would have helped  and wish I'd Have taken that suggestion more seriously  .  I walk often now however whenever I'm stressed and find it so helpful . 

I guess we are all different and although all of us have a common thread ( us being smokers quitting smoking  ) each will find their way to becoming ex smokers. 

I found posts like yours helpful . Everyone's input to me was and still is so valuable . I could use something someone wrote one day save some , put it on the back burner yet use it  another day ... eventually I think I pretty much used a little bit from everyone so I am so grateful to all those who post . Thanks  for posting this today .  Thanks for sharing a part of your journey and your success with is all . I know you have helped someone . You've helped me as well . 

I must say though I am however very very grateful for the struggles I had ,  perhaps even glad it wasn't easy . Those struggles made me stronger and they made me deal with the things I needed to .  

I had a previous eight year quit that was easy peasy .. I gave it away thinking I'd only smoke one cigarette . This quit was the hardest thing I've done . I fought to keep this quit  and it wasn't easy like my first quit ..

Perhaps for me that loss was the real wake up call I needed to not take my quit for granted . One puff is not enough . 

Maki 

Kim1028

Thank you so much for your kind words and congrats to you on your quit! 

Stick with it! You can do it! 

0 Kudos
DeniseL920

I just want to say the book REALLY helped me too. 

Kim1028

I am so glad to hear that!