cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

c1classic

Isn't it supposed to get easier?

Things aren't quite going as I had envisioned.  I encountered numerous sources that stated the first 72 hours would be the worst...

Really, the first five days were pretty easy for me.  Sure, I would have several cravings a day but they weren't overwhelming.  But, the past two days have been hellish.  I've had an intermittent headache for most of the past two days.  The cravings have become rather intense.  And, for some reason, I haven't managed to put together more than 3 hours of sleep a night the past two days.  I still haven't smoked but I did search my car like a madman in hopes of finding a pack that had maybe slid under a seat... so pretty much, I didn't smoke because I actually made sure I didn't have any extra packs hidden away anywhere before my quit date. 

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed cravings getting worse with time as opposed to becoming less intense.  Anyone else noticing headaches or having sleep issues? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
hangzhou

Yeah.  It's a motherfucking hell ride.  Keep that seat belt fastened.  The addiction monster will play you like a fish on a reel:  let out a little line, make you think you're safe and on your way and then BAM, start reeling you in again.

You're in a Battle Royale!  Want to win?

Be fierce.  Take whatever comes (sleeplessness, headaches, whatever).  Every day, you are getting healthier.  You are like a wild horse that is throwing off your reins.  Snort.  Stamp the ground.  Whinny.  But throw off those reins.

As for me, I'm in Day 4 of what is not my first quit.  But I know the pitfalls and you are describing a classic case.  This time I KNOW I will win and will become a happy non-smoker.  If I feel bad one day, so what?  If a little voice reminds me of the "sweet old days of when we used to smoke" I will recognize the voice as that of a Cassandra ("she who entangles men") and banish her away.

It's going to be hard?  Bring it on!

0 Kudos
joe59

Here here Hangzhou, you are one smart cat.  DITTO everything you said, you encourage me so damm much it's awesome.  C1classic, just think how cancer will feel in comparison to what you are feeling now.  Keep it all in perspective of what you are really gaining.  Just imagine, you won't have to go to the doctor's one day and have then diagnose you with some jacked disease.  FYI cigs are the most difficult substance to kick, more than any other drug I have heard.  It is suppose to be hell, because you are taking your mind and body back from the cletches of a F**CKed industry that has billions to keep you hooked, get mad, and use your anger to hate smoking and not keep paying the mother F**kers that got you hooked in the first place.  You can kick it in the A**, remember this is WAR!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
c1classic

I'm just a bit weirded out that it has become more difficult in the past two days.  The sleeplessness is pretty lame.  I assumed that since nicotine is a stimulant, I would probably sleep better after quitting, haha.  But, I'm using these newfound late night hours to discover new music so it's not a complete loss =P

0 Kudos
muscam

I agree. I was on day 7 yesterday but unlike you did find cigarettes and did smoke.  Now today starting again.  Hopefully I will be ready to get past day 7 this time.

0 Kudos