cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Is this Normal?

I quit smoking 48 days ago. Longest Ive ever gone voluntarily. My question is this. Since I quit smoking Ive had issues with getting a full breath at times. It feels like Im trying to take a deep breath but my lungs didnt get enough air.  After a few attempts I may yawn and sometimes that works. Sometimes it causes discomfort in my chest like a very mild tightness. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be alarmed. I have gone to the doc and he said my lungs sound clear that my oxygen is normal. 

0 Kudos
21 Replies

Elvan how did you know you had COPD I have often worried if I have this condition as it matches alot of my symptoms. The only way that I can explain how I feel is that I try to take a deep breath but it does not feel like my lungs have expanded their full potential and its difficult to go any further. It has not happened in the past few days. Its not an every day occurance. 

0 Kudos
elvan

I was becoming increasingly short of breath with any exertion.  I had asthma but this was different, I could not take a deep enough breath to feel as though I was really getting the air that I needed.  You are SO YOUNG that I doubt that you have even the beginnings of COPD but you certainly could have some asthma.  You have to learn to breathe effectively...in deeply through your nose and then exhale like you are blowing bubbles through pursed lips.  Try increasing your activity and your lung capacity.  I don't know where you are or if a pool is available but swimming is a great way to increase lung capacity.  DO take Giulia‌'s advice and you also might want to monitor your caffeine intake.  I became much more sensitive to caffeine after I quit smoking, I would have palpitations and I could not sleep at night if I drank anything with caffeine late in the afternoon.  Before I quit smoking, I could drink caffeine all day and all night.  A pulmonologist or even a primary care doc can do an oximetry measurement on you to see what your oxygen levels are...and a spirometry test can be ordered and then interpreted and you can go from there.  Don't get too alarmed but at the same time, PLEASE don't be too complacent.  I got to where I am because I kept convincing myself that I was fine...I would start to feel better and that is when my risk of smoking went back up.  I did a LOT of damage but I am a LOT older than you are.  Take this one step at a time...start with a primary care doctor and tell him or her what you want.  By the way, I had NO LUNG sounds in my upper lobes when I finally quit..there was no movement of air.  You're doing so well with your quit!

Ellen

Yes I am experiencing the issues with Caffeine but my doctors have suggested that that may be due to anxiety. I was diagnosed with bronchitis in July and then shortly after that I was diagnosed with General Anxiety. Rather than accept that diagnosis I skipped taking the medications. ( I have issues with taking pills daily..Phobia issues. ) I changed everything about my life. I quit smoking. I gave up drinking ( I dont drink very often at all) I gave up caffeine. I switched to a heavy regime of Group B vitamins. I limited my exertions. I am happy to say that I havent had a major anxiety attack in almost a month now. I have a doctors appt set for the 13 which is when I will have another physical and we will discuss my blood and other samples and see if anything is wrong that way. I will ask if I need to have any of the other tests done and fully explain the issue Im having with my chest. As I am up to 51 day without smoking I know that this feeling cant simply be withdrawal or backlash from quitting. I know it has to be more than that. I also dont know the seriousness of it as the fact that I havent had any serious back lash from it since it doesnt last longer than a few minutes at a time. Thank you for taking the time to listen and explain your issues.

0 Kudos
elvan

PLEASE let me know what happens on the 13th and write down all of your questions for your doctor before the appointment....including when the episodes happen, how long they last...give the doc something to go on.  Congratulations on your 51 days, that is SWEET!

0 Kudos

Please follow Giulia's suggestion. I would suggest a Spirometry Test (a breathing test) if you haven't already had one. Yes, at 32 years old you can have lung issues. Ruling that out, breathing as Giulia recommended breaks into the anxiety cycle as well - so either way it's a Great Exercise! If you want to learn more about anxiety go to the search window and type in the word: anxiety. There are lots of great ideas that help!

Are you anxious or under stress?

0 Kudos

Not that I know of JOHN.MASON1959‌ but anytime I have had an anxiety attack I generally am not either. 

0 Kudos

My doctor said everything looks normal. I asked if he wanted to run any additional test such as the Spirometry Test and he said that it didnt seem like I needed any as I was very healthy. My blood work showed normal oxygen levels. My lungs sound good. He said it might just be general anxiety and I need to watch what I am eating to try and control it since Ive chosen no medicines for my anxiety. He said that is the smartest course I can do. 

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Very happy for you and the good news, awesome!  Please, please learn the deep breathing as shown by Giulia above, you'll find it is one of the most useful actions you can take during the quit: you can practice it anywhere, at work, while shopping, having dinner with friends, while reading or cooking, before you go to bed to relax...really whenever a crave hits.  It is a wonderful tool to have, and having practiced it in the early times of my quit, I find myself using it as a relaxation technique whenever I feel I am stressed for any other reasons. You can also go to YouTube and practice meditation, here is a link if you don't already have your own technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Za1RZWmnYA.

0 Kudos
elvan

Rise_and_Grind  Be proactive...your doctor is most likely right and you just need to learn some breathing techniques, watch what you eat, and see if you can get some regular exercise in.  Blowing bubbles (sounds nuts I know) can help you to control your exhalation. You really should start to feel better...you are in NML though and that is a tricky place.  You can go to the little magnifying glass at the top right of the page and type in No Man's Land.  There are blogs from years ago as well as some that are more current.  You are doing great...are you at 55 days now?  I am a little bad with math, putting it mildly.

Keep going one day at a time and go to JonesCarpeDiem‌'s page, he has lots of very helpful advice and a great description of NML.

Ellen