cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

HandSoap

Is there anyone active in this group or nah? 👀

I think this will be my 4th time trying to quit.. So now I’m just going to follow groups that pertain to me.. (newbie) 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
HandSoap

Thank you, I will be coming on here more often! 

0 Kudos
HandSoap

Also, I’m not sure why but I’m not able to edit my profile.. I want to change my profile picture but there’s no option for that. Is it because I’m trying to do it on my phone?

0 Kudos
elvan

Can't answer the profile pic but Mark can, I am sure.  I am a retired RN and there are several retired nurses and also currently practicing nurses on this site.  Yes, we all knew what smoking could do, we just wanted to think we were immune.   I am here to tell you that we are NOT immune.  Quitting now makes me SO HAPPY for you, I am going to be smiling away for the rest of the evening, thank you.

Ellen

HandSoap

Trust me I know and see what smoking can do! I’ve always been that person that looked way younger than my actual age, but now I have premature wrinkles and visible pores (others can’t tell but I can), cough and phlegm, wheezing from time to time, harder for my to breathe than usual, higher blood pressure and pulse rate, dull yellow teeth and darker ( I use to have the whitest teeth and pink gums), DO I NEED TO GO ON? I’m proud to say I didn’t smoke before work as I usually do, and I didn’t die from that anxious feeling (craving)!! 

elvan

I had countless failed quits before this one and I credit this site and the people here for making this one different.  Reading blogs and relating to other people who were either going through the same things I was or who had been there...it was about so much more than the health effects...the physical health effects are obvious.  The psychological addiction is so powerful...you CAN do this, you CAN get through it one day at a time.  I am sorry that your mom smokes.  Any chance you can enlist her help in your quit?  Ask her either to not smoke in the house or to smoke only in a designated area?  You might introduce her to EX and let her read some of the blogs, she just might find something here that reaches HER.  In the meantime, you can quit and show her that it can be done, you can be the example.

Best,

Ellen

HandSoap

elvan you’re right this site is very different and really helpful in so many ways.. It’s hard talking with my mom. so I will have to find a way to get the thoughts of ‘how easy it would be just to get a cigarette’, out of my head when the craving hits.. 

elvan

You are at the beginning...take care of yourself and your quit, first and foremost.  The quit comes first because without your loving care, it will die.  This site is amazing,, there are so many great ideas that helped me and so many that helped others.  I can tell you one thing without hesitation, that is, I PROMISE you that it will get easier.  The beginning is not easy but those craves become memories that we associate with certain activities that we don't have to push down, we can swat them away, if we have to do even that!

Ellen

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Put it in desktop mode and switch to landscape.  

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
Giulia

No, you don't need to go on about all the bad effects of smoking.  We're all aware of them.  But it can never hurt to reinforce the detriments in our own heads.

Good for your for not smoking before work.  And getting through the craving.  Keep at it!

HandSoap

Thanks Giulia, I was asking in a sarcastic way, because I know we all know what smoking does.. It’s kinda hard to quit because I live with my mom and she smokes a lot. But I’m looking forward to reading all the suggested articles because though I know what smoking does to the body I still like reading articles from other people’s perspectives, which helps me learn more! 

0 Kudos