cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lindarivera

Is it a slip

I was wondering is it a slip if u puff on an e cig? 

40 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

In my opinion, if you are puffing nicotine you have relapsed if you quit. When did you quit? Do you have a plan?  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX Please read the suggested material in order to educate yourself about nicotine addiction.  There are some very easy reads on www.whyquit.com. Freedom from Nicotine the Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101.  NOPE  not one puff ever.  will keep you from questioning whether you have slipped or not

Lindarivera

I chew nicorette is that a slip ? Does the quit start when u are totally off nicotine or when you stop smoking ciggs ? 

Confused

JACKIE1-25-15

Sorry, you are confused. Chewing Nicorette gum is an NRT which is not puffing which is not a slip.  Puffing is when you are inhaling and exhaling SMOKE

anaussiemom

You decide.  Everyone here will have their take on it.  Some of us , like me, have to stop the behavior first.  So I am on NRT.    You will have to decide, what is best for you.

In the end you will have to decide what you are doing, want, need, and commit to.  Lindarivera 

Hugs Kim

elvan

Not sure how to answer that, some people use e-cigs as a support method for their quits...if you are puffing on an e-cig because you are trying to stop yourself from smoking, I can't say that is the WORST thing that could happen but I worry that the e-cigs are showing increasing evidence that they, too, are addictive.  If there is no nicotine in the solution, you would just be imitating the hand to mouth movement and you can do THAT with a straw.  It's a journey and it is NOT easy but the farther away you get from nicotine, the more progress you make in your recovery.

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

There are many opinions here in answer to your question.  If you are recovering from pneumonia and might have COPD, I would not recommend you inhale unknown chemicals that are in the vapor.  If you have nicotine in the vapor, you will continue your addiction to it.  The jury is still out on whether it is safer than cigarette smoking.  If you are using it only as a truly last resort, sparingly, with very little or no nicotine, and you have a plan to wean yourself from it, I suppose it is better than tobacco.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Lindarivera

Your right it was a slip! I hate failing but when it comes to ciggs - I fail often - and that’s why I might have copd .

Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone

anaussiemom

My honest opine skip the E cigs.   I got ghastly sick from them for 6 months.. Also have COPD!!

Please stop  the E. 

Many Blessings
Kim

Daniela2016

I considered being quit the first day I did not smoke a cigarette. 

The 2 weeks of Nicotine patches and the e-cigarette were my tools to help the first weeks of the quit.  I was using an e-cigarette and decreasing the amount of nicotine, intending to stop at a certain time.  That was all good, but emotionally I was a mess, crying all the time.  I came here, I started learning about the quit, and Dale said: "to me using an e-cigarette is just smoking with a battery"; I was upset because in my mind I was using it to decrease the cravings, and eventually intended to stop that.  You know what?  The day of his statement I packed away all the paraphernalia of my e-cigarette and have not use it ever since.

If you were smober, using no quit aids, and now you have used the e-cigarette I would say it is a relapse, and you should start counting the days again. 

But as others said before me, it is all up to you.  All our quits are different, and if you don't want to turn the clock back after smoking an e-cigarette, so be it.  It is your quit, and you decide!

Welcome back anyways!