cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

polly2

Is anyone out there in CA?

I see that there are 6 members here, but no discussions...Is anyone here?? I'm looking for some support -- today is day one of my quit! Thanks!!

Polly
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
katinthehat

Polly,

I started the group but never got around to starting a discussion, my apologies. So today is day one. How's it going? I'm on day six. It's getting easier, for the most part. Congrats on your quit date! If you need any support feel free to contact me.

--Kat
0 Kudos
polly2

Thanks Kat!! Way to go fo you -- WAHOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm doing pretty good actually! I've pretty much stayed glued to this site, exploring around, reading, etc. to keep myself occupied and learn what others are doing! Where are you in CA? I'm in the Sacramento area. Thanks for your support -- there are so many people here who are responding -- awesome!! Have a great evening!!

Polly
0 Kudos
katinthehat

I'm in the LA area. I'm a transplant from Texas via Boston. The site is really helpful. I think it's the factor that's keeping me more focused on the quit than the disire for cigarettes. So far my quit is going well, better than any other attempt. Part of me knows that is a bit of foolish arrogance, but the other part of me hope that is present because things are different this time. We'll see, I guess. I'm having a bit of an irritability problem (according to my roommate) but part of that is that I'm usually very even keel and our third roommate is a bit touchy, so it was hard for my roommate to have two of us who were so snarky...
0 Kudos
mari3

Hi, Polly! I live in the Bay Area and am trying to quit myself after 14.5 years of smoking. I am down to 3 a day, but can't seem to let it go completely. It seems as though I need to find something greater than myself to prevent me from caving in. I don't smoke all day, but the evenings (especially after 7pm) are really tough. Any suggestions about how to curb those evening urges? Do patches or gum work best? Sorry for all the questions. This is my first time on a site like this. Congratulations on your first quit day!
BTW, I just finished my last cigarette in a pack after a week and am thinking that I should just not buy them at all again, use the Nicorette patch, and pray really hard to overcome those strong evening cravings! Does this strategy work well? Thanks again and best of luck; I'm right there with you! =o)
0 Kudos
polly2

Hi Mari!
Everyone is different. I started out using Nicotine Lozenges, but then scrapped them after day 3. They seemed to make me have more cravings. Possibly because it was the physical aspect of having to open one up and put it in my mouth. So, I went cold turkey instead. I do know the patches will help to curb the cravings along with all the other Nicotine replacements. I think my own problem with the lozenges was just that it was a mental reminder of my dependence and I found it annoying. I'm on day 6 now. The cravings come in waves, but I have decided to look at it in different ways. For example, if I feel like I really want to smoke, the first thought I bring up to counteract is, "Smoking is not an option!" This way I have no excuses. Also, the fact that I am having cravings, means that the nicotine is leaving my body -- that's awesome! Keep reading the posts and you'll get a lot of good information here!! You CAN do it!! Give me a yell if you need me!!
0 Kudos
polly2

Better snarky than dead, huh? I'm from the east coast too -- Philadelphia burbs! I just returned not too long ago from a visit with my cousin in Cohasset, MA -- south of Boston. Wow, what a beautiful town!! How do you like LA? Right now we're socked in with all of the smoke from the fires in the mountains. The ironic part is that if I was still smoking I'd be huffing away, outside, getting a double whammy. Now I have no desire to go outside and breath that crap!! I think it's normal to be irratible for awhile. After all, you didn't smoke for just a few months and it's a big adjustment! Many congratulations to you for coming so far!! WAHOOOOOO for you!! Here's a picture of scenic Cohasset for you!!

0 Kudos
katinthehat

Hi Polly,
It's interesting that you were in Cohasset. When I was at Boston College my graduate program did retreats at a Jesuit retreat hosue in Cohasset. I was there every October and LOVED it. Crazy about the fires. I used to use the fires here to justify my smoking (a dumb justification I'm aware). But the way you look at it is much better (and more rational). How are you doing?
0 Kudos
katinthehat

Mari,
I'm using the patch to try to curb some of the simptoms of the nicotene dependence. Durring week one I would still have cigarette urges but they lessened over the week. Now I"m doing better, for the most part. But I quit after a 15-20 cigarette a day habit and didn't cut down before hand. So, the patches might be a bit too much nicotene for you. Good luck. YOu can do it.
0 Kudos
polly2

Small world, huh? I can only imagine how you must have enjoyed Cohasset! It is one of the most pristine towns I've been in! Out of hundreds and hundreds of houses, we saw only one in a slight bit of disrepair! LOL -- it's amazing how nicotine tries to control our minds every step of the way regarding smoke and smoking...I'm on day 7, getting ready to land in heck!! I'm doing pretty darned good -- still have cravings, but I just keep on feeding my mind with the thought that "smoking is not an option!" That eliminates all other excuses! This site has been so awesome for me!! Here's another picture for you to reminisce with!!

See, the world really is round!!
0 Kudos