cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

brooke8

Irrasional? Or worried?

I'll start out with this,
I've never posted in forums. I've never tried a program to quit smoking and I've never talked about it in a group like this. It's become a habit to keep, what I feel a shameful secret, to myself.
I've been in a relationship now for three years, with a man that I know through and through and want to spend the rest of my life with. The thing is he doesn't know everything about me and that's killing me.

To better understand my history, let me start from the beginning.
When I was younger, i was a good kid. Never smoked, drank or did drugs and no one was ever able to pressure me into it.
About the age of 19 I met a young man by the name of Matt. We became the closest of friends and after a year, started seeing each other. Our first break-up though, was MY breaking point. I look back on the day I first picked up that cigarette, and wonder, what was going through my head. Never had it in me before. So why was it I was looking to this completely strange outlet for relief from my relationship woes?
I smoked for two weeks, very lightly. A cigarette here, a cigarette there.
Then me and Matt talked things out and got backed together.
Fast-forward six months.
We had our first serious fight and called it quits. During those six months, I hadn't smoked again. Hadn't even thought twice about it and yet, here I was starting up again. But with a gusto...
I no longer smoked lightly, I went through a pack a day at least.
Slowly and surely became addicted not only to the nicotine, but to the routine. Every time I'd get sad, I'd bust out the pack and alleviate whatever i was feeling with the facade of cigarette relief.
This went on for a good year until eventually Matt and I, once again worked things out.
I never kicked the habit again though. I've quit off and on but never lasting longer then a month.
Matt is under the impression that I no longer smoke. He's caught me a couple of times and it's serious enough to him that he'll break off the relationship every time. So eventually I just learned to keep it secret.
I realize the common sense thing to do would be to talk to him and tell him my problem isn't just something that goes away. It is a real problem that millions of people face in the U.S alone. But there is no mid-ground with my fellow. He feels so strongly against drugs, alcohol and cigarettes that he never has and never will give leeway to thought of just "supporting" me as I quit because in his mind, I shouldv'e never had the weakness in me to start in the first place.
He's a good man, with a kind heart that I know only worries about me, but he's stubborn to a fault at times...
So if anyone has any words of wisdom, I'm all ears.

Brooke
Tags (1)
9 Replies
marcia

Brooke,

I'm also a closet smoker........... My adult kids know I smoke but my grandchildren are not aware of this issue.

If he's a good man, as you describe, he should also be a wise man. Wise men will also understand that you are trying to get past and through a big part of in your life.

Don't stay with him if he's not going to understand that you're not perfect and have a history that you bring to this relationship. If a life partner can't understand that you bring much good but some troubling issues to a good relationship ..... He is not the one to hunker down with!

Look for the "wise man"........
0 Kudos
wilf_brim

Brooke:
You have two issues here. The first is your relationship with your BF. The second is your smoking. They are (I think) related but seperable.
Your BF is very firm and not very understanding about your occasional smoking. I was in a similar (although not the same) situation a while back. My new wife had the same attitude your BF does about smoking, and finally pitched a major fit. So I gutted up and stopped. Until 6 months later when she announced that she wanted a divorce and walked out. You see, it wasn't just smoking that she was inflexible about. She was unwilling to accept any portions of me that she wasn't completely happy and comfortable with. So when something came up that couldn't just be stopped or thrown away (serious down problem after a career crisis) she split. I'm not saying that Matt will do the same thing. But what else about you is he unwilling to accept.
Second issue: smoking. Well, that's why we are all here. But do it for yourself, not somebody else.
0 Kudos
Hiker

Maybe you should show him the articles on this site about the addiction process. If hes not aware of the addiction/brain function then he doesn't have a complete picture in which to base his conclusion about it.  It  may help him understand. That may lead to him supporting you. 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiker wrote:

Maybe you should show him the articles on this site about the addiction process. If hes not aware of the addiction/brain function then he doesn't have a complete picture in which to base his conclusion about it.  It  may help him understand. That may lead to him supporting you. 

Agreed! Yes non-smokers can benefit from coming here to BecomeAnEX.org to learn about addiction so they can support those they love and care about in the quitting process.  

Some have done this: /blogs/Anacondahead-blog/2012/01/25/letter-to-a-loved-one 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I hope Brooke got her 2008 issue resolved.  lol. 

JACKIE1-25-15

I rode my bike today.  Yesterday. I went to exercise class.  I did a lot of stepping today....Window shopping. 

0 Kudos

I did absolutely nothing! 

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome Brooke ~. 

Please go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  and start preparing for your quit date.  And Quit for you, no one else...I think the people above gave you good advice.  We are helping each other out “ one step at a time “.  ~ Colleen

0 Kudos