cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TW517

Impostor Syndrome

I’ve been a commercial and multi-family property manager in central Ohio for 37 years.  I’ve survived 3 bad real estate downturns when most others were forced to change careers.  If you were to ask me who the best property manager in this market is, I would unhesitantly say me.  Yet for some reason, whenever I start a new assignment, or I’m making a proposal to get a new assignment, I get this terrible feeling of dread that I will be found out as a fraud.  It’s called Impostor Syndrome.  It never lasts long, but it is extremely stressful, and previously “required” great quantities of cigarettes to help me cope.

Today I had my first major budget presentation for a recent client, and was also pitching for another property he owns.  I finished both in half the time I had figured it would take, and both were successful.  Was driving away, and thought, “I should celebrate this success and take advantage of this bit of unexpected free time”.  The first thing that came to mind was a Starbucks latte, so that’s what I did.

Halfway thru sipping that, I realized that:

1. I never once thought of smoking while stressing out preparing for the meeting.
  2. I actually thought of something other than a cigarette to celebrate.
  3. I actually thought of something other than a cigarette to kill some time.

No whines from me today

11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Then NO cheese for YOU!

Congrats, btw - you have just had what we call the "AHA" moment!  You are truly on your way!

Proud of you!

Nancy

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS, what a great aha moment...good for you, now you know what you have been waiting for!  

TW517

Nancy and Ellen - I can’t tell you how good this feels. For months I’ve been telling people here to hang on because it really does get better. But in the back of my mind I was saying “At least that’s what I’m counting on anyway”. Now I can say that and mean it  

elvan

It is the BEST feeling, now you know we weren't lying to you.  It will continue to get better and the days and times when you used to think of a cigarette and now don't will run together and you will have STACKS of them, seriously.

MarilynH

Congratulations on your glorious quit, yay for you and and that wonderful AHA feeling.....

d7d7b6cfa7cf3095bac787f125af326f.jpg

indingrl

Beautiful congrats on new thought life and remaining quit no matter what Great job! 

Posamari

GOOD FOR YOU, YOU'VE MADE IT!!

That was a shift right there and one in the right direction too.

P.S. My hometown is Columbus   I miss it! 

TW517

O H !

0 Kudos
elvan

I have to tell you that when I read the title of your blog and the fact that it was in reference to renting and managing properties that my mind went to a really odd place and I thought your blog was going to be about people pretending to be someone else or putting places up for rent that they didn't really own.  When my daughter started college in NYC, there were a number of students who had put down security deposits and first and last month's rent for places that didn't even exist.  It was SUCH an anxious time for those kids trying to find housing.  THAT was the thought that went through my mind.

Congratulations on your successful presentations and your successful management of the most important property you will ever have...YOU.

Ellen