cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jordan4

Im new here and need some support

Hey everybody. Im Jordan. Im 20 and Ive smoked for 4-5 years now. I want to quit smoking because I train hard and smoking has really been the thing holding me back from my full potential. I love MMA and I plan to begin training exclsivly for that in only a couple of years when I get out of the Army. Some of the biggest things that make it diffucult to quit would be; stress at work(being and infantryman in the Army), my ADD, and that everyone around me smokes. So please, if anyone has some advise or shares the same pasion as me let me hear it. Its been only 16 hours and I feel like Im about to snap on the next person I see smoking. hahaha.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
nan7

Hi Jordon and WELCOME, This is a great place to come to if you want support to quit smoking. I believe both education and dedication contribute to a good final quit. You can check out becomeanex.org for help in how to quit. People on this site have used/are using various methods such as cutting down, patches, lozengers, gum, cold turkey, chantix,.......They all seem to work, it;s just a question of what may work best for you. Anyway, glad your here, read some of the blogs on Main and Forum. If I can help, please feel free to leave a comment for me. Again, CONGRATS on your decision to quit. By the way, what is MMA?
0 Kudos
banter

Congrats Jordan on making it this far!

Yes Leslie, you are so right. You really can have a calm positive quit, I did and many others I know did too.

Jordan, Smoking does not calm you down when you are stressed, it stops you from feeling uncomfortable due to nicotine withdrawal. Our addiction associates the relief of getting nicotine back into our system to a calming, stress helping activity. When you felt stressed before nicotine or very early in your smoking career, trust me - you did not need a smoke to feel better. Once you quit nicotine and get it out of your system you can and will handle stress much better because you will be calmer without nicotine releasing adrenaline into your system all day.

Take that energy you are feeling to snap on the next smoking person and channel it into a positive experience. Feel the energy, it’s good energy. Look forward to craves! Why? Because each crave represents another step towards healing. Or look at it negatively like so many do and increase the possibility of relapse.

Lastly, you really have to WANT to quit smoking. I know you've heard that before, blah blah blah. But it's true. If you don't want to quit, you won't. It's not willpower. It's the difference between "i'm going to try to quit" and "i'm not going to smoke today". The "try" attitude is willpower. It's you forcing yourself to do something you do not want to do. Now look at the statement "i'm not going to smoke today". You are making a statement that you aren't depriving yourself from something. In fact, you are giving yourself health and in the very near future, comfort without nicotine.

Good luck bud.
0 Kudos
banter

BTW Jordan, thank you for your commitment to our country!
0 Kudos
breathless

Jordan. First off, I also want to thank you for your commitment to our United States. You being in the service already shows that you are not afraid of doing something hard. Look around this site & see how many of us there are in our 30s & 40s. We didn't wait that long to quit because we liked smoking or "didn't get around to it". We waited that long to get here because we are ADDICTS. Do NOT forget that. My son has ADD & I can see how it can add to a person's stress level, but know this, smoking doesn't help with stress. And, MMA is becoming soooo big, if you are any good , it could take you very far if you are in shape! Keep that as your goal. And check out whyquit.com.
0 Kudos
jennie3

Hi Im new here 2 I quit a month ago tommrow I promise it gets easier I think the 1st 3 days are the worst good luck you can beat this
0 Kudos