cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sjackson9

Im absolutely scared outta my mind as i approach my quit date of 01/01/2018

I desperately need some encouragement as I approach my quit day. 01/01/2018. Am I THE only one who has or had anxiety before my quit date?

119 Replies
Giulia

I'm not sure I agree with you . jrgar1‌ Making decisions psychologically promotes the behavioral changes necessary to accomplish the goal at hand.  Deciding does not make it happen, I agree, but deciding is the first tinder of the fuel necessary for the fire of action.

jrgar1

Just trying to be helpful. Did not intend to minimize the merit and importance of making decisions in the process of facing and fighting our nic-addiction. I do respect and welcome your right to disagree. Decisions not making things happen is the most important point, purpose and intention of the posted comments. Just hoping the new folks struggling and fighting to begin their quit journey got that too. O.D.A.T. N.O.P.E. ALLLL ABOARD.. THE FREEDOM TRAIN!

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Yeah, I'm sticking to step one is deciding. But no argument here really just about each quitter sharing their own experience, strength and hope. I've heard it said,'if you don't agree with someone, don't worry, maybe someone else needed to hear it."

As a smoker, I had to decide first, everything else came after that.

0 Kudos
Giulia

You ARE helpful.  And the great thing about this site is we can all voice our opinions!  That's how interesting and vital discussions get going!  Glad for your input.

Ivan_EU

I was always wondering something. It's a stupid to ask but still. Is it possible that nicotine, cigarettes, with time make your mood swing? Hmm, or to be precise. Can it affect your psychological in a sense that you are less stressed actually when you don't smoke and that when you do problems in your life actually seem bigger then they are in reality?

MichelleDiane

That's not a stupid question.  Cigarettes add to stress.  They amp up the chemicals in your body to make it harder to stay calm and you don't use the coping skills that would help to reduce anxiety and stress.  Again, not one good reason to smoke, but countless reasons not to.  Good question.

-Michelle

elvan

There is nothing stupid about that question...yes, as you recover, you begin to realize that smoking did not make you happy, it did not really relieve stress...it caused it.  It did not help with anger or sadness or any negative emotions.  It takes time...you will feel stronger than you ever felt while smoking.

We react when we smoke...we run to cigarettes to stuff feelings down and we may very well make things bigger than they are so we have what we think is a reason to smoke.

Ellen

shashort

It is not a stupid question. I agree with MichelleDiane and elvan  I believe it takes stress away too.  You don't have to worry when or where your going to get your next fix how you smell, pay all that money it cost for a pack of cigarettes, it definitely takes away stress.  Once you get beyond of the lies of nicotine and know is does nothing for us, then you realize there is no need to have it then you can relax and vola less stress. Good question.

Sharon

jrgar1

The Grand Hoax.. Our addiction convinces us we need our drug to solve problems and challenges that arise during our everyday life. No problem is too big that using our drug will only make it worse... Not a solution... another problem added to the mix. Recovery allows us to make changes for the better. Accepting life as it comes to us. Our addiction was a progressive process. Recovery will take time too. Our efforts leading us to the reward of understanding healthy behaviors as a way of life! Learning to focus more on solutions instead of the problems. Reinhold Niebuhr offers an amazing solution to life and addiction. " The Wisdom to know the difference". "Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace". Never quit quitting! O.D.A.T. N.O.P.E. Allll Aboard the Freedom Train.

Ivan_EU

I saw, I think on this forum, that there is 12 steps even for us, smokers? Can't find them right now. I heard that people who were alchoholics had bigt success with this programme? Thoughts

0 Kudos