cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

davey68

I've smoked 50 plus years and now i've decided to quit.

Is it to late to quit?

21 Replies

Again, it's never too late. Stick to your plan & spend a lot of time here. You'll get this.

Keep on keepin on,

pastedImage_1.png

maryfreecig

If you've decided to quit then go for it. 

0 Kudos
vanlil

I smoke 63 years and today I have 744 days of freedom.  I was losing my voice -  thought for sure I had throat cancer.  After only 3 days my voice started to come back.  Today I could outscream anyone I bet.

Hey - I hope you get some improvement quickly like I did.  

It works and stay close to EX.

Lillian

Giulia

Too late for what?  Breathing better?  Smelling sweeter?  Coughing less?  Having more money in your pocket?  Having your taste buds come back to life?  Smelling scents you didn't know were all around you?  Too late to stop burning holes in your clothes?  Missing out on precious time because you're out tending to your desperate need?  Too late be free from the addiction?  

NO!  It's not too late.  The child in you will say "Welcome home."  Love After Love

marciem

I was close to 50 years smoking, (I honestly don't remember my age when I started), and I can verify as above... NO, IT IS NOT TOO LATE to enjoy benefits from quitting!!  You might not get "everything" back (I have COPD),  you may not have dodged the cancer or heart disease bullets, but your life will improve immensely when you aren't trying to cram it into the moments between cigarettes!!

I was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 1/2 years after I quit, and my first thought was "Boy I'm glad I won't have to go through whatever lies ahead while scheming to go get a fix!!!" .  It ended up not so bad for treatment since I caught it early (GET YOUR LOW-DOSE CT SCAN FOR CANCER SCREENING!!) , but you get the idea.  Rushing out of a long chemo session to smoke?  NOT FOR ME!  (I didn't need chemo, but there's the picture).

In the meantime, you can smell the roses, and claim your life back to spend with family & loved ones instead of with cigarettes.  True story:  I adore the smell of new-mown grass.  So much so that every time hubs mowed, I'd be out on the patio in my "smoking spot" to appreciate it... and immediately light up and spread the stink around the place!!  Un be lievable!!  Now he and I can enjoy it together without the taint.

Strudel

No way - it is never too late! I smoked for 40 years and I am so happy I quit! Tomorrow will be my 8 year anniversary - best thing I have ever done! You can do this! This site and the support here will make all the difference - stick around!  

Sootie

As you can see.....most of us smoked for many,many years. Not too many people on here who decided to quit after one year of smoking (sadly). So, as you can see....you are in the company of those who know.......IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO QUIT.

Welcome to EX.....we are all here for each other.

Christine13

Good for you wanting to quit!!  I was a smoker for 47 years, and now on my 2nd day quit.  Do lots of reading here and blogging.

newlife5

i smoked for 45 years .. i think/// anyway .. i felt the same way.. smoking was part of my life... glad thats over with, the smoking that is..... you will have to learn new coping skills though... we used smoking for everything... to relax, to energize, to socialize, to take a time out, to calm down,  isnt that crazy .. thinking that little cigarettecould do all that...whoever knew it was an addiction... we are here for you... if you have any questions just holler out!!!! 

izzy

When is your Quit Date, Davey?

0 Kudos