cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I passed my original quit date and I'm still smoking, but very little. Should I continue with my Chantix and try to set another date

It almost feels like I'm depriving myself of something good. I know, sounds weird!

0 Kudos
21 Replies
maryfreecig

Rather than trying to force yourself against your will to quit, take time to get to know Exers and their quits. No one can change your mind for you, but it is not at all weird for smokers preparing to quit, to feel that smoking is special. It's an addiction. The nicotine has influenced your brain. Breaking the addiction is the job of quitting. It happens one day at a time. In making a quit date, it's also important to make a quit plan--especially a list of all the things you are willing to do other than smoke. 

An impulse or crave to smoke is normal once you quit--first few days it is absolutely common. It's your work to craft a reasonable to do list now so that you have choices. If you want the crave to just go away, rather committing to working your smobriety one day at a time, then, keep facing your reluctance to quit. Keep questioning your resistance. And spend a lot of time at Ex. Read peoples stories, read blogs, check everything out. Emerge yourself. 

The urges to smoke have to be dealt with. They grow weaker as you take responsibility for staying smober. Those thoughts that tell you that smoking is good, ignore them, spend more time with smober people. Ex is here for you 365, the long run. Give yourself a chance, rather than talking yourself out of quitting.

/blogs/Marilyn.H.July.14.14.-blog/2019/09/30/its-bound-to-take-time-to-relearn-life by Marilyn

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2019/01/27/one-of-the-greatest-tools-...  by Jackie 

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2019/08/05/give-this-the-time-it-takes by Nancy

What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube 

Quitting Cigarettes Journal  my story--a google blog I started in 2014

You can do this one day at a time. A specific quit day is made at your say so, under your power and is meant to be meaningful--even if weird, unpleasant. It's all a part of a fabulous journey. You stick with this, you win something far bigger than hits of nicotine off cigarettes. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my email! I appreciate all the

information!

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020, 2:44 PM maryfreecig <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>