cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BoomBoomPants

I only made it 14 hours

I feel utterly defeated.  I am so addicted. I started smoking when I was 16 because I had anxiety that was out of control. I’ve been on medication for it for the last 10 years and it’s only brought mild relief.  Every day of my life, while a smoker, and before I smoked, and during months of abstinence from smoking, has been a struggle to just “get through.”  I’m on disability because of my anxiety. I hide from family and friends because of it. I’m embarrassed to show them just how bad I am, even though most/ all of them know I have it, it’s different when they see if first hand. 

I know smoking hasn’t helped me, and really it’s only made it worse. I hate smoking. I can’t stand the way it smells, I hide the fact that I smoke from most people in my life too. It’s more embarrassing to me than the anxiety. 

I felt so prepared. I’ve read “the easy way”, and a half dozen other books. I had NRT, and an entire backpack full of non-nicotine items to help with cravings, and to use as distractions. My mom took the kids today so I could focus on quitting.

Allen Carr’s book says that nicotine withdrawals are not painful, and can best be described as an uncomfortable hunger. But I respectfully disagree.  I was nauseous, I had painful cramping in my stomach, but the worst is the psychological pain. I have no way to describe it. Anxiety and depression so severe I felt like nothing was real.  Like I was going absolutely insane.  I wept for 3 straight hours. The only reason I’m even able to write this is because I had a cigarette, so I can now put together a coherent thought. 

My mental illness is getting in the way of my quitting, just like it’s gotten in the way of every other part of my life. I am so angry. I am not a weak person. I know I’m going to pick myself up again and start over tomorrow, but the fact that I was so confident, so prepared, so ready, and so EXCITED to be done smoking today, has made me question if I will ever succeed.  

My biggest fear is I’ll smoke forever, and that one, or both of my children will start smoking when they’re teenagers. I know even if they hate it, kids with parents who smoke are way more likely to start themselves. I’m one of those statistics. 

Tonight, I’m going to buy patches. And hopefully the pharmacy will finally have my zyban prescription ready. I’m adding to my arsenal. 

Please tell me some of you with success stories missed your original quit date, even with support and preparation, and went on to succeed. I need to hear it. Because right now I’m feeling like garbage. 

Tags (1)
23 Replies
Barbscloud

I did cut down each day when I began taking my Welbutrin.

Zyban is not a panacea. Try locating yourself in a place where you absolutely can’t smoke, like a library or a movie theater.  In my case, i always smoked outside. Now, when i get a craving, i refuse to go outside until the craving pends.

djmurray

Hi, and welcome, BoomBoom -- I discovered this site when quitting in January of 2014.  I announced how scared I was of losing my "friend" and talked about hating smoking.  Yeah, that quit lasted about 6 hours or less.  But when I quit on the very last day of 2014 I remembered this site (took me a while to remember the name of it) and after 53 years of smoking heavily, I never went back, so I'm gliding into five years quit now.  I totally thought I would be the last smoker on the planet.  I "loved" to smoke.  But I can tell you for sure that I love NOT being a smoker way more.  No one here will judge you and you will get awesome support.  Just promise yourself to stay close.  Don't hide from us, because we've been where you are, we understand and we care.

Grammy25

Please don’t beat yourself up!

I also suffer from anxiety and depression and have quit and failed a few times! My anxiety got worse by not smoking; but it was worse of all when I was smoking a lot! I found when the anxiety hit I would concentrate on something else and then force myself out the door until I realized nothing bad was going to happen! With my depression I found that going for a long walk helped me to concentrate on something other that the thing that was making me depressed!

I know that I haven’t had a cigarette close to a month now with no anxiety or very little depression! I did make it to 180 days before something bad happened and I found myself starting over!

I have faith that you can do this; also just take it one day at a time, and keep trying!!

Have a great day!!