cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

beccalynn35

I messed up

I smoked today. I wasn't thinking. I had a panic attack in the middle of cleaning a house. So I went to store and bought cigs. 

Now I am just crying. 

What do I do from here? 

0 Kudos
27 Replies
susan_m

Becca, how are you today?  Did you regain your quit?

0 Kudos
TerrieQuit

Ready, set, go! Time to begin again!  ~Terrie~

0 Kudos
freeneasy

Did smoking help stop the panic attack? It may have given you temporary relief from a crave. You can get past a crave. It's only temporary.  Start over the sooner the better. Believe in yourself and you'll see it's way better to be an ex-smoker who thinks about smoking once in a while than a smoker who always things she should quit.

elvan

You get back up on that horse named Quit and you start again, you remember what went wrong and you plan for the NEXT panic attack.  Your addiction is strong but, believe me, it is not any stronger than the rest of our addictions.  We have all been there, don't beat yourself up, just GET up.  You CAN do this and you know we are all behind you.

Hugs,

Ellen

Lafot

I've restarted many times, and the best response I have is when I am able to laugh at it and then learn why I did it. Every time I've restarted, I've learned a little more about why I restarted. Then that reason can be worked into the next plan revised and better. Try to learn from it, and step out again.

elvan

I always beat myself up and I never smoked "just one"...to be perfectly honest, I never went right back to my quit either.  In the last months before my forever quit, I quit twice for three weeks each time, both times I allowed anger to be my trigger.  I told people that if I could get a handle on my physical pain that I could quit.  That was a LIE, I quit and I still have that same uncontrolled chronic pain that smoking NEVER helped with, I just got so sick that I knew smoking again would ensure a pretty rapid decline in my health.  I could not do that to my family...I could not do that to ME.  I found out how strong I am, how much I can handle, and how ridiculous it was that I thought smoking did anything to help me.  It's been over three years now after 47 years (except short breaks for pregnancies and failed quits) of being a serial quitter.  If I can do this, ANYONE can do it, I just DON'T smoke because I know that it doesn't fix anything.

Christine13

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on the horse that bucked you.  I've been where you are too, I just know you can do it!!  Panic attacks are not fun, but you still had the panic.  A quit is like a panic attack, you can get through both.

Fergiebarber

Bec, we all have fallen, move on, put those killers in the trash and get back to being free!

prjimm01

dry your eyes and move on my friend.  nobody ever said this was easy but it is SOOOOO worth it, as YOU KNOW!!!

you did right by coming here for support.  Nobody will ever condemn you except maybe yourself.  so do like my friend says.  build a bridge and get over it!

We are here for YOU.

0 Kudos
ccrider

OK friend try to figure out what to do for the next panic attack, so you will be prepared for it , that way the temptation to smoke will be less and you can get through it. We are all here for you.

0 Kudos