cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

khrystyna

I'm so sad.

My husband went into this together, determined to quit. I was doing it for me - but more than that I was doing it for him. His coughing had gotten so bad he was scaring me. I noticed the other day that all his coughing had stopped and commented on it to him. He seemed unmoved. Thenlast night I told him I had treated myself to a pedicure for making it past day 10 (the point where I usually fall off the wagon), and asked if he was going to reward himself. That was when he told me he had been smoking for the past 2 days. I'm disappointed - not that he had a relapse - because that happens to all of us - but that he seems to be reluctant to recommitting himself. I'm scared for his health. I'm also determined NOT to use his going off the wagon as a n excuse to do so myself. I just keep remembering how nasty that first cigarette tastes. I know that this has to be his decision and that I can't force it.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
carlie

Knowing all the things you should and shouldn't do doesn't help much with the disappointment, does it ???
Support him - let him know that when he decides to quit, for good, you'll be there for him. cuz you REALLY ARE concerned for his health.

In the meantime, keep up your quit....you will be setting a good example for him. But do it for yourself !!!

Good luck, and please keep in touch, ok??

I'm on Day 11 and counting...Woo-Hoo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .......We are winners !!!
0 Kudos
khrystyna

Thanks for the encouragement. He is careful not to smoke in front of me, but he is smoking, and I'm pretty sure he's stopped taking the Chantrix he was using - which means he has not intention of trying any time soon. But he has to be ready, and obviously he is not.
0 Kudos

I am new to this but I can feel your pain. I am a seargent in the military and I want to quit smoking. The stressor of the day to day life in the army was my excuse to keep smoking. I was hiding it from my wife until she found out that I have started back smoking. She is disappointed in my right now. In these trying times we have to remain strong for one another to help quit. Don't give up on yourself and your husband. Together you two will pull through.
0 Kudos