cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

john-h

I'm not Roll'n - I quit smoking lol

One week 2 days and counting! Went out with friends last night - friends I was avoiding all week since they smoke. Had all my gear (the halls cough drops, toothpicks, etc). You can't smoke inside a bar anymore in Hawaii which is a good thing. I NEVER ventured outside with my friends. I mean, I'm feeling stronger but not invincible - ya know.
The funny thing is I wasn't planning on talking to anyone about quitting, just wanted to go hang with friends and aquaintences. But I guess my halls cough drops and chewing on the toothpicks sent out a signal. So many people were like "You got any "E"? You roll'n? I'm all "Hahaha, no I just quit smoking last week and I'm coping not rolling." This actually led to some people asking about it, so I gave the 411 on the EX site (not to be confused with the other "X" lol) and actually had a lot of support. And as geared up and nervous as I was about wanting to smoke, the anticipation was more intense than the actual event! I hardly craved. Those tricky cravings really have a mind of their own sometimes. So here's to some Ex that I won't wake up depressed from. I love this site and what it offers. You guys
0 Kudos
21 Replies
edith2

John, I love your post! Especially the title! I'm so glad that you're here. Please keep sharing your experience, strength and hope. You have a great message that so many can benefit from. You are a breath of fresh air!
0 Kudos
kesha2

I am so happy for you congrats. I will start my journey on the 1st of October.
0 Kudos
Theresa11

Good job! That was a big test and you did it! Awesome! Can't wait til I can do what you did. There is no smoking in Chicago bars or restaurants and I really don't go often ,but if I go to see a band I'll be in a smoke free area and hope to do as well as you. Keep sharing. Theresa
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Super Attitude....

You might not be Roll'n but I think you might be RAWK 'n it
Really Awesome Wonderful Cancerstick Kicker !

stay strong .... stay proud .... its worth the effort to have control over cigarettes again !
0 Kudos
john-h

What's funny is I used to roll sometimes, so it was very natural to have people ask me if I had E. I just didn't want to do it anymore and one day I stopped. No cravings, no anything. Cigarettes are such a DIFFERENT story. Such an Addiction. So much planning for the cravings, planning who I will be around, planning when I need to take my BuPROPion, planning how to drink my coffee, planning what I can do to stay busy in the car while I drive, etc. This site really helps not just for all of that and for all the support from you guys - but I use it sometimes just to keep my mind occupied till I get past an intense craving time (Like while watching a DVD today where a character smoked). I have friends who social smoke, they bum a cigarette on a night out once a month and never smoke or buy them any other time. NOT ME. I quit several times before and went back. I can pick up a drink and not drink to excess, I can eat food not to excess, but not Cigarettes. Hothula wrote about how she must "value her quit". I love that. I am hoping to "honor this quit" and in so doing making it last.
0 Kudos
rachel17

NICE! I may try going out soon glad to hear it was easier than you thought. I have realized many things with quiting have been. You can build things up in your mind and you think they are insurmountable. Then you do it and wonder why you were making yourself crazy over something that really was no biggie. KEEP THE QUIT!!!
0 Kudos
deborah21

Good Job.....Have a great week!
0 Kudos
cindy54

Good for you, you quit smokin and i did to. Congrats.
0 Kudos
susan72

Congratulations on one week, 2 days! Definitely the hardest period. This site has been a lot of help for me. Stay strong!
0 Kudos