cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

patricia21

I'm new!

I'm new today want to quit somking for me and my babies!
i have custody of my grandson,
I'm 58 and have smoked since I was 16. scared to death!
helppppppp!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
cindy25

Check out the Ex program. I quit smoking using it! Really works. I think it is MORE scary to think about quitting than it is to quit! Once you have a solid plan and (if you do the ex program) you will have not smoked during many trigger situations (before quitting), that you will KNOW that you can do it and feel positive and confident!
0 Kudos
Brittney4

Patricia, hwc is right. hwc actually said the same things to me about 3 days ago. I was told 'if you really want to quit, then quit'. No excuses, no delaying it, just put them down today and DO IT! I did it... On wednesday June 18th at 2:45Pm Mountain Time, I went outside, had my last cig and that's been it. I'm still going strong and to be honest, it hasn't been hard at all. I've tried to quit before and I knew I was going to fail. I would be in tears because of the cravings. I know now that I really didn't want to quit, I wanted to for other people, not myself. This time it's all about me and it's not hard! I have had 2 bad cravings that I easily worked through! Good luck to you!!! You can do it if you truly want to do it!!!
0 Kudos
connie2

I am with ya!! I haven't quit yet but have tried numerous times!!! I'm also scared to quit because of the failure that I feel if I "go back". Just take it one step at a time. Look at all of your resources that this website provides. Also check out the American Lung Association website and if you have any smoking cessation classes in your area, those can provide help as well. Us smokers need all the help we can get!!!
0 Kudos
patricia21

thanks for your help! I haven't quit yet either but have tried to cut back.
I didn't realize how many things make me want a cig.!
have a great weekend may i add you as a friend?
0 Kudos
kelly67

I joined a couple of hours ago. I really want this to work for me. But, I am also scared to death of gaining 50lbs after quitting. That is my biggest reason for failure in the past 30yrs.
0 Kudos
mary41

You've made the first step, just keep putting one foot in front of the other down the path of freedom from nicotine, stay committed and you will get there. I was also scared. But I'm on day 8 now, the worst is behind me and I have to say, it was annoying, frustrating, some difficult moments, but not nearly as bad as I dreaded. I'm sure there are some difficult moments ahead, but not nearly so difficult as continuing to smoke. I love the FREEDOM from nicotine that I'm beginning to enjoy. Working through the BecomeAnEx materials helped me a lot. The exercises on separation helped reduce the withdrawal symptoms a lot.
0 Kudos
kimw

HI Patricia I am scared to death also. Tomorrow is my date to quit. I'm not going to let my fear stop me from quitting. You can do it!!! Just follow the plan. I went to a class last week and the most important thing I got out of was that I have to make an action plan.
0 Kudos