cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

patriciaporem

I'm new to this.

I have copd and I'm in the hospital again with pneumonia. I love to smoke so this is almost impossible to do. I need to quit!!!!!

13 Replies
marciem

Add me to the "loved to smoke" and "they'll take my last cigarette out of my cold dead fingers" group.  It may take a while, and some work, and some thought, to realize what you "loved" about smoking.  What you loved was the relief from withdrawal that the cigarette gave you.

The other things?

1.  Me time ... you can still have that, just without a cigarette.  And only when you really want it, not interrupting conversations to go smoke.

2.  Break time.  You should still have your breaks, without smoking.  Something you enjoy, a cappucino or frappe or just some candy and conversation.

3.  Reward time (chore completed, job well done, etc.)... still available, find something healthier than smoking (i.e. ANYthing but smoking) to reward yourself with.  Nothing wrong with chocolate or chips.

4.  Social time.  You may have to forgo sitting with the smokers for a while, but just a while.  After some time, being around smoke/smokers won't trigger you to want to smoke, but at first it is certainly a danger.  Esp. if the social time involves alcohol (#1 quit-killer than I know of).  Again, alcohol can be re-introduced slowly and carefully after the initial quit starts, if that's your thing.

What else do you love about smoking that you can't still have only without a cigarette in your hand/mouth?  Figure out how to still have them and not smoke.  In time you'll appreciate not smoking, and that's a guarantee!

COPD?  I have it too.  It will continue to get worse if you continue to smoke.  Its progression will slow or stop with the cessation of smoking.  You might not breathe better than now, but hopefully it won't get worse, and if you protect yourself with immunizations, then possibly hospitalizations for pneumonia and/or bronchitis won't be part of your yearly agenda.

Best to you!! Give yourself this gift of becoming a nonsmoker, its one you won't regret!

minihorses

Remember "Something is only impossible until it is done by someone."  It's a hard walk sometimes but if you can just take even a baby step then you're heading in the right direction to make your quit absolutely possible.  Being in the hospital sick can be looked at as a godsend as you can count those days being smoke-free!  Look at all of us.  Many wanted to stop and others that felt they had to quit but there are so many long-term elders that felt the same way and made it through the impossible.  Stay close, there is a literal nation of people here to cradle, support and motivators to help you along the way.  I loved to smoke but now I can't imagine lighting up.  Get well and turn this bad situation into a huge saving grace!

Julie

Beck37

Welcome to Ex!!! Its so sad that your love of smoking outweighs your wanting to live. I never thought I would ever quit. Smoked for 37 years but all it took was getting winded doing the most mundane tasks to freak me out and I quit cold turkey.  

Don’t know what stage of life you are in.... I have worked my butt off for 40+ years and there is no way in hell I am ripping myself off from the retirement adventures I have planned for so long. Only plan on toting suitcases not oxygen tanks around. 

Seriously get real here, you are in the hospital!!!!  I guess you just need to figure out if you are worth it?  Its all about your attitude and wether you want to work towards having a better, healthier life.  You of all people should realize there are no benefits to smoking.  Quitting is so doable. This site is filled with success stories of people who loved to smoke. 

You so have the ability to be successful if you decide its what you really want. We are all here for you...

Be Amazing!

Beck

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you doing patriciaporem ? It seems we haven't heard from you in a while.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team