cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

amylynn1115

I'm new to this. Please help!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this whole seeking help while trying to quit thing. I have no idea how to use this website, or how to successfully quit smoking. I'm currently tracking my cigarettes and I've set a quit date. Please welcome me and share any tips and of course add me to be your friend 🙂

Thank you

Amy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jvickers001

Amy,

My names Jessica and I actually just started wanting to quit. I set a quit date which was yesterday however, I was unprepared for what happened. I decided to join this site about an hour ago and now I understand why it was so difficult. I have only had 2 cigarettes since Sunday at 11 pm however, I only smoked about 9 a day. I never smoke when I am at home. I realized the past two days that is it more of an addiction to the habit than an addiction to nicotine. I only smoked at specific times so I never had a nicotine craving but more I just wanted to because it was time to. I'm new too so if you ever need some encouragement just let me know. I am working on changing my habits before I establish another quit date.

Jessica

0 Kudos
Mothergoose9

If you go to my "newbies listen up" blog, I just put a l-o-n-g reply on there about mindset. 🙂  Mindset is KEY!!!  Like Jessica just said, the physical addiction is a very small part of the whole picture, and mindset will be what will take you the distance, so it is CRUCIAL that you establish one.  I finally decided that "Smoking is simply NOT an option!!  Not for ANY reason, not under ANY circumstance!!"   Then I would allow NO smoking thoughts into my mind.  I wouldn't flirt with them, dwell on them, entertain them......nada.....just would immediately dismiss them and focus on something else.  

In my opinion, you can prepare all you like....but nothing is going to shortcut the process of having to stand up to the craves by making a decision and sticking to it NO MATTER WHAT.  There are no shortcuts, no quick fixes, no easy answers or magic pills.  It's all about you DECIDING that you will not smoke and then don't smoke!!  REFUSE TO USE!!

Read, blog, reach out, stay connected here, educate yourself on the nature of addiction.....just don't smoke!! 🙂

0 Kudos