cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

redluvr

I'm experiencing grief.

I quit on 10/25/19. I thought I was experiencing withdrawal when I started waking up too early and crying uncontrollably nearly every morning. But now on my 11th day as a former smoker, I'm starting to think this feels more like the loss of a loved one. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% committed to never smoking again because I've come to the conclusion that if I don't stop, it WILL eventually kill me. That said, I'm not very happy about this situation. Can anyone else relate?

16 Replies
Barbara145

"We lose one of our most comfortable, reliable and familiar ways of relating to ourselves and to the world around us."  I wrote this quote down when I was grieving the loss of cigarettes 6 years ago after smoking for 52 years.  It was from this site.  Grieve all you need to.  Take really good care of yourself.  You are doing this.  Congrats! It is so worth the pain and struggle.

misty_dawn

Well said, Barbara! ❤️

0 Kudos
misty_dawn

What you're feeing is absolutely normal and a completely unexpected emotional response if caught unaware...

It fades much faster than the loss of a loved one, it just feels like hell for a few months. Replacing those habit times with something else that keeps your mind and hands busy will serve you well.

Keep on keeping on. Quits are done second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day, week by week, month by month, and year by year (in that order exactly). If you can't handle thinking about tomorrow, think about this minute or 5 minutes instead. ❤️ You got this.

Take it easy on yourself, find some 'replacement' habits to fill in that avoiding time (maybe go for a walk or hit the gym or treadmill, paint, learn to play the guitar).  Keep those hands busy!

Misty Dawn ~ Quit Date ~ 07/29/2010

Swanbird

I’m with you!  I’m in day 3 and crying every morning.  I am at a loss much like grief!  Grief shows up in mysterious ways.  It’s a kiss period.  We are experiencing this because we are at a loss to something that has been part of our lives for so long.  I congratulate you on going 11 days!!!

elvan

I really think most of us grieved the loss of our "friend"...the one with the gun pointed at us.  Our relationship (addiction) was so dysfunctional but even THOSE relationships are grieved.  It's really good that you recognize it.  Congratulations, it will get better. Congratulations on 12 days of freedom.

Ellen

Bree19

Much like Stockholm Syndrome?

"Stockholm syndrome is a condition which causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors during captivity."

DonnaMarie

One of the things that struck me was how much it was like losing a good friend. I cried a lot, but I think, for me, it was because my emotions were all over the place for the first few weeks. Look back on these days as an amazing time to get to know yourself, which is what you're doing with all this extra time on your hands. 

Donna

Day 325