cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Marigene6266

I'm a diabetic, is there anyone else here a diabetic?

I'm concerned about additional problems connected with my diabetes. I have found that stress and anxiety are major triggers in increasing my blood sugars. And we all know how stressful quitting smoking can be. I cannot use the typical hard candies and other sugary snacks. Any suggestions for that problem? 

Tags (1)
12 Replies
indingrl

Welcome

Daniela2016

I am diabetic too, diagnosed nearly 5 years ago, A1C was 9.5 at that time.  I started walking 3-4 miles/day and watching my diet, and in 3 months I got it under control A1C was 6.5.  Then I quit smoking, depression kicked it, not only from quitting smoking, but also I developed Hashimoto's which took over 6 months to diagnose.  I could not walk anymore, so ever since, the A1C went up little by little.  The reading in January was 7.6, and the dr added Glipizide to the 1500mg Metformin.  It would be great, but if I am not eating on time, and that happened at least 10 times since I have been taking it, I go as low as 64, and feel like I am passing out. Like Annette, I would not know what to advise you to eat when the crave hits; despite the diabetes, I chewed on chocolate covered raisins at the beginning of my quit; many here recommended the sour patch kids candies, just look at the sugar content and limit to what your intake at one time should be.  I am seriously considering working with a nutritionist, unfortunately they are usually not covered by insurance, and those who are, are really far from home, but I am thinking about it; maybe you want to do something similar.

Let us know how things are going; but please know, diabetic or not, you can quit smoking, and it is only going to prevent further damage to your liver and pancreas.  Stay the course, you can do it!!!

DonnaMarie

I also have diabetes. I used sugar free mini Altoid cinnamon or wintergreen, and I also used cinnamon sticks. I still have some in my car. You can "draw" air through them, they give you a tiny little feeling on your lip like a cig, and they can be held like a cig. I used them a lot at first, then occasionally in the car. Two other tools in my arsenal were water and walking. Lots of both. Eat well and keep your blood sugar where it should be, sleep when you can, and take it easy. You got this.

cinnamon.JPG

Donna

Day 600