cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

finy0535

I'm Scared

Hello. So, I'm new here. I actually joined the site about a year ago, but only started getting serious about quitting in the last three months. I've set a quit date for myself for May 1. I've got a plan, I know my triggers, I've talked to everyone I know about it, I know what to expect, I feel like I'm as prepared to quit as I've ever been (I've "tried" quitting before). Now, as my quit date looms I'm finding myself increasingly anxious - if not downright scared of quitting. I don't know if I am afraid I'm going to fail or afraid of what life will be like without the cigarettes, all I know is that I am genuinely scared and it's a very weird feeling. Rationally i know that I need to do this. I know my life will be so much better without the addiction. But the emotional side of me is completely overruling the rational part of my brain. 

2 days to go.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cathi4

Sometimes the build up can "hurt" as much as the quit. The addiction gets hold of us and the brain receptors start putting out those fear reactions in advance. You can be psyching yourself out over it rather than using this time to grow strenght and resolve for the actual quit. Cheak out www.whyquit.com for knowledge cause knowledge is power. Then remember that this will not be more than you can handle unless you make it that way. I did make the nicodemon real powerful before the quit but that shoould not be. Read all these stop blogs from these incredible people and fine your reason to fight for your life! You deserve this. Did you forget that?

You can do this! This site will help!

0 Kudos
rj_

Gotta agree...quit the negative thinking you are psyching yourself out....get educated....anyone including you can quit and stay quit....no matter how many, or how long...take it from the worst nicotine junkie ever....I smoked 2 pks a day, plus dipped snuff when not smoking and while smoking.... www.whyquit.com is a great educational site...education and determination breed success...best to ya...RJ... Free at last 955 days, after 32+yrs of slavery.

0 Kudos
finy0535

Thank you so much, to both of you. I think I was having a bad moment. It is really fantastic to have this community around for support. I trust I'll be around much more often in the coming days, weeks, and months. Thanks again. I seriously appreciate it. 

0 Kudos

Hello there!

I am BRAND NEW here to this site...am currently on Day 2 of being cigarette-free.  I did not set a quit date...I ran out 2 days ago and decided yesterday morning I would do whatever I could, to distract myself from the temptation of running to the store to buy a pack.  I made it through DAY 1...and now am nearing end of Day 2.

Day 2 has proven to have quite a few moderate to pretty severe craving attacks...to the point where I had myself in my car, keys in the ignition and ready to back down the driveway to just go buy a pack...ANY pack of cigarettes...but I pulled myself OUT of my car, and back into the house...and distracted myself with something until the craving passed.

I did figure one thing out:  my cravings last longer than the standard 3 minutes...and most of it, if not ALL of it...is mental.

So, in response to your upcoming quit date...TOMORROW??  I am right there with you!!  I understand the anxiety about the approaching date...and it's so hard to explain to anyone that's never smoked before, what that anxiety is like.  You logically know that quitting smoking will NOT kill you, but continuing smoking WILL kill you.  Right?  All those logical reasons anyone out there, including yourself, can tell you...won't make a BIT of difference when one of those whopping cravings hits you.  I know...I've tried and failed more times than I care to count, when it comes to quitting this horrible habit.

All I can tell you is this:  Just take the day as it comes...minute by minute, hour by hour if necessary.  When your cravings hit, do whatever you can to distract yourself...I do find that very helpful.  For me?  Tomorrow is DAY 3, and also the begining of a workweek, which is usually fatal for me when trying to quit before.  I plan on making it through my whole shift without cheating.  YOU CAN DO THIS.

0 Kudos