cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

latyday

I'm New and here's my story.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, I've been smoking since I was 17 yrs old ten damn years...and i'm tired of it. I've quit before when I had to i.e. went to basic training and when I was pregnant ( still smoked mabe 1 or 2 cigs a day) but recently, my mother who has been a smoker for over 20 yrs, was diagnosed with Lung Cancer right after she quit smoking; she had quit maybe a couple of months before being diagnosed Ain't that a B**ch.... It scared me to death so I tried to stop and was doing good until her health started to decline and the doctors said there was nothing more they could do and they had recomended hospice. She had lost alot of weight, hair and couldn't walk for a while. She looked like the shell of the woman I once knew. At that point I gave my self full permission to just go and buy a damn pack of Ciggs, Sound crazy don't? Well I felt it was what I needed at the time because it was a lot to handle and most if not all of the responsiability rested on my shoulders to take care of her. Not only that but I chaged jobs around the same time I got the news and got stressed out. Thats no excuse I know....anyway, My mother is my best friend, I can't imagine loosing her. But she is defenatly a fighter! you should see her, ever since she got out of the hospital she has willed her self, with the help of jesus ofcourse, to walk, eat and become as independant a possiable. So just this past week My chest was hurting and my throat was sore and at that point I Just made up my mind to say F**K it ! and quit for good. I didn't set a date or anything I just did it. I thought well hell, if I did it before for X amout of time I can do it again. So, I smoked the rest of my ciggarretts and when I ran out I didn't buy any more. I was on Chantix before and never finished all the pills and had some left over So, I started a new pack to help in the beginning. BTW I think chantix work as long as you take them becasue the moment you stop its all up to you and your will power thats why I only take them when I think i'm going to need them hince the reason why I still have packs left over. I've known people to finish taking chantix and stop smoking only to get stressed out and start smoking all over again.
Well...I am now on day 3
and I'm doing ok...I'm fine during the week while at work but the weekends are hard...really hard. So you might see me on here alot this weekend. all encouragement is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for reading my story.
0 Kudos
18 Replies
michael8

Thank you for sharing your story. Bless you with what you and your mother are going through. I just want to say, if you are going to free yourself from cigarettes, DONT GIVE UP!!! I find (and was told) that it makes it a lot easier if you don't have a doubt or allow a doubt (whispers of addiction) to enter your mind. You want this. Take it. You deserve it. Stay on the site, talk to alot of people, make a lot of friends. The more you repeat your convictions about your decision the more reinforced the idea will grow in your mind. I am on nicotine replacement but to be honest the thought of giving up has not occurred to me. I won't let it. Stay Strong and congratulations on your new life.
0 Kudos
polly2

Hey there,
I'm am so sorry to hear about your mother. She sounds like a real trooper and it's obvious that you are proud of her. The last thing she would want for you would be to follow in her footsteps. You came to the right place! We all work together as a team and help one another through both good times and bad times. A great web site that I'd suggest you read is www.quitsmokingonline.com . It deals with the mental part of this addiction and is a great read as well! Post and read posts here -- it will help for you to strengthen both your resolve and committment to remain a non-smoker. Also, the more you reach out and help people here, the more you will help youself! I just sent up a prayer for both you and your mom. We are all here to support you and I hope that will give you some comfort! Take good care of yourself!!
0 Kudos
Susan59

Thanks for sharing you story Latyday. I am sorry that your mom is ill. Sometimes I think it is just the luck of the draw when it comes to lung cancer. I am not saying that smoking does not contribute but my grandma quit smoking at 89 when she forgot she smoked...however my Dad got cancer of the ephosophagus when he was 65 and died at 66 when it spread to his brain. Both smoked the same...so I think part of it is just chance. I worry that I waited too long to quit and pray that I get my grandmas fate instead of my Dad's.

Besides all that. Quitting smoking is the best thing that we can do for ourselves. Since quitting 165 days ago I feel so much better. I can breath better, I don't cough.....my sinuses seem clearer. I smell better....I can laugh out loud and not choke! I don't have to leave situations to go outside to smoke. Life is better without cigs.

Like you I quit rather quickly...I didn't know about this site at the time and just quit one day because I had better things to do with the money I was spending. I haven't looked back. You don't need to either.

You sound committed and that is the most important thing. Getting over any craves you might have is much easier when you have a determined attitude. You can do this!

Stay strong.

Peace Susan
0 Kudos
doreen1

Photobucket Good to have you here, Latyday. Thanks for sharing your story. My heart goes out to you. I know first hand how it feels to be losing a parent to a smoking-related illness. I lost both of mine within a 2½ year period - Dad to complications of Esophagael Cancer and then Mom to exasperated COPD/Emphysema. Its never easy. Congratulations on 4 DAYS SMOKE FREE (hopefully you're still hanging in).

I'd like you to think about something. You said "I gave my self full permission to just go and buy a damn pack of Ciggs". Look at it this way - the NICODEMON (your addiction) saw an opportunity to play games with your head AND let you think you gave yourself permission. You've got to FIGHT that Nicodemon on all fronts!! If you've made it through to this fourth day, then all of the toxins are out of your system. Now its all addiction and habit - and THAT's when the nicodemon likes to play games making you think you NEED another cigarette.

Arm and prepare yourself - get some hard candy, lollipops, cinnamon sticks or cut some straws for the hand to mouth thing - whatever will help you to pass the crave. Usually they only last 3-5 minutes each and will come in waves at first. Eventually, the ocean will smooth out again and the waves will be further and farther between.

Photobucket...Photobucket
Photobucket
0 Kudos
becky16

Glad to have you aboard. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom and she sounds like a very strong lady. You and your Mom will be in my prayers. Congratulations on your third day! That is great....You Can Do This! Writing on here is a great way to get your frustrations out, help you through cravings and help you to focus. Then, of course, you will have the added benefit of the encouragement and support of others. You need to tell yourself that Smoking is Not an Option!! Stay determined and don't give in.

Remember: The choice is yours.....exclusively yours. Use Wisely Your Power of Choice! I look forward to seeing your progress. Each day is a success. Your a butterfly removing itself from the chrysalis, learning to fly.........to fly as high as you desire.

Becky

Becky
0 Kudos
mindy6

God Bless you and thank you for sharing you story. This is a wonderful supportive community where I believe you will find the encouragement you need to keep moving forward and make positive life changes. I wish the the best!
0 Kudos
barbara42

WELCOME latyday,
i will pray for your MOTHER and for you, let us help you in any way that we can. YOU, can and will do this
0 Kudos
charon2

Good job, girl!!! You are WAY too pretty to be a smoker!!!! Keep up the fight, it is so worth it!
0 Kudos
latyday

Thanks for adding me as a friend, I need all the support I can get. I'm here at work and people are testing me left and right...I'll get threw it though.

:0 )
0 Kudos