cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I'm Missing My Meow Like You'd Miss A Cigarette

I took Hoggie to the vet this morning for his annual checkup and a rabies shot. Last year they said his kidneys were showing first signs of kidney disease and suggested he go on a renal diet.  He doesn't like the same food days in a row so it's been hit and miss.

Today they said it was advisable to check to see if there is further damage.

They wanted $189 for just a urine test and $283 for urine and a comprehensive blood panel.which would indicate any irregularities in the liver and other organs 

Problem is they couldn't get any urine so I had to leave him. 

You can't do a urine test without any urine.

Why is lab work so expensive?

Not hearing him when it is so normal and expected is so similar to missing your smoking routine when you've first quit.  I find myself thinking "I wonder where he is?" about every 30 minutes.

Now I'm starting to worry something is wrong.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Sootie

I'm so glad he is back home. how well I know that empty feeling of a home without your pet! It's why I think I will ALWAYS have a dog.......can't live without that love!

0 Kudos
elvan

Dale,

I am so glad he is home...I know how terribly hard it is to have a sick fur baby...as far as the expense, I can't tell you...I have spent so much on mine that it stuns me.  My daughter has one of her cats on a special diet that she orders from Chewy, it is not cheap, I know she has been through several different kinds of food.  She has more than one cat...I honestly do not know how many she has any more.  Some live in the back part of the house where her husband lives...some live in the front of the house where SHE lives...it's complicated.  In any event this one cat was at death's door more than once because of crystals in his urine.  She has done everything she possibly can for him and she has all of the cats who live in the back of the house on the same diet because that is the only way she can do it.  I am not sure if there are four or more.  Her vet believes in holistic care and she loves him...she is very happy with the attention he gives to all of her animals.  It IS expensive.

I know what it is like to miss one of our kids...they DO become our kids and your relationship with Hoggie is such a close one.  I am sure it was traumatic for BOTH of you to have him in the vet's place and to have to STAY there...please let us know what the results of the labs are.  

Keeping you and Hoggie in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Ellen

IrishRose

My Abby had to have a blood panel done - the whole bill to take care of that problem included 2 liters of saline, blood panel and a needle to stop the vomiting.  The pills to stop it would have cost $40 a piece, and I figured she would most probably vomit the pills up before they started working.  I escaped from the vet's office after grabbing the receipt in the amount of $336.  They told me they go by weight.  Good grief.  And, did you know they have animal insurance now??????????????????????????????????? 

Irish Rose 

0 Kudos
IrishRose

I love my buddy though.  She understands me.  The only example of true unconditional love I can think of off hand - my big puppy beast Abby!   

elvan

I do not know what I would do without my animals...they really ARE my best friends...they listen, they sit silently with me when I am in pain.  I love them...sometimes, I suspect that I need them more than they need me....well except for the food and the treats and emptying the litter box...hahaha.   

Ellen

freeneasy

Fingers crossed for Hoggie. Hope you keep hearing the meow for a long time.

Barbscloud

Good website on renal failure.  I been dealing with for about a year.  My cat is in early stage and I kept reading new research show you shouldn't restrict protein as much as in NF products.  I found some other low protein foods and also fed him some on a limited basis.  Low and behold, about two month ago they now have a prescription diet for Early Stage Renal Failure with more protein. Purina has a better flavor than Science Diet (no I didn't taste it).   I also found dave's Restricted Diet at Healthy Pet store   Apparently, none of these taste that great, but it gives me something to switch up on.

Hope everything turns out ok.  

/Users/ikear/Desktop/Tanya's%20Comprehensive%20Guide%20to%20Feline%20Chronic%20Kidney%20Disease%20-%20What%20You%20Need%20to%20Know%20First.html

bonniebee

I sure hope all the tests are negative ! Our pets are so loved ! My little dogs Jonah and Lily Turned ,12 this year image never had an elderly pet my other dogs died younger. My Jonah has gone blind this in the  past few months and having hard time getting used to it ( I know I would !!!) He also has become incontinent in his sleep so I have had to buy waterproof pads and doggy diapers for him . Lily has breast cancer .. All this is so expensive ,they charge way to much for pet health care ! 

0 Kudos
MarilynH

They're our furbabies and we love them so much bonniebee my dog Samantha Digger Jane Hartley will be 15 October 11th she's pretty much death and is on Bladder pills but otherwise she seems A OK although she gave us quite a scare a couple of months ago but she bounced back ,sending up good thoughts and prayers for Hoggie, Jonah, Lily,  Samantha and all of our furbabies because they are family . 

cpsono

Thinking of you and your Hoggie. Our pets are so precious to us and I know you love your dear kitty. Praying for good test results!

0 Kudos