cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Pops

I know you all can see the buzz about the EX community......

Most of you already know about what is happening this weekend in Virginia Beach, and that is exciting enough on its' own.  However, some members of the community that just recently joined may be some what confused, or thinking that they were left out of something special....Please let me explain just a little bit about this momentous occasion that happens once a year within the ranks of the community.

Each year about the beginning of summer, certain members like to get together at various locations across the country for an informal gathering of like minded EX smokers that are rejoicing in the beauty of being alive and free from the binds of nicotine addiction.  All year long, we read these great inspirational tidbits of wisdom and wit from the members here, and associate the words to an avatar.  Well, at these reunions, we get to put a face to an avatar, and meet physically for the first time after we have already pretty much undressed ourselves to one another in one form or another via internet.  It is quite emotional from what I have been told.  I always wanted to go to one, and just never seemed to have a quit together enough to attend one in the past.

ShawnP, god bless her, has continually beat the drum to me that I should make a commitment to attend one.  I met her in the Cleveland area @ a Cracker Barrel for breakfast right after they had returned from a reunion in Nashville and she was just beaming with pride wearing her new EX Tee Shirt....At that breakfast, she told me that as far as she knew....not one person who has ever attended a reunion has returned to smoking again!!!! Wowzer!  Think about that for a minute....did that sink in with you the way that it did for me?  I immediately thought to myself, well if there was ever a great excuse to get out of town for a little fun & adventure....this simply had to top the list of all time greatest motivators there are!!!!

So, I set out on my forever quit, and made sure to mark my calendar so that I would not miss the next reunion.  Luck would have it, this year is very close to my home (229 miles away) and I am easily off to attend.  Pops will be attaining a one year mark just two days after the reunion concludes, but you can bet my quit buddies Shashort, Jennifer, Shawn, Youngatheart, and countless others I couldn't begin to name them all....but we are going to be celebrating life all weekend long in Virginia Beach.  EX_5!!!!

So, think about that.  Try to make a commitment to attend next years reunion and get some insurance to throw in with your forever quit.

I have to finish packing and then I am off to ride into the sunrise @ 6:00 in the morning.

Enjoy your smokefree evening!

Pops 359 Days of Freedom

31 Replies
Sootie

Yes Bonnie----that is me in the red and black stripes. And Betty is in purple on the side. May she rest in peace but may her spirit ever inhabit our community.

Strudel

What a wonderful blog Pops! You are so right about these gatherings - they are remarkable! You have captured the spirit perfectly -  I just know you will have a blast! See you tomorrow! 

Mandolinrain

Have a great time! I'll be there next year! Woo hoo!!!

Giulia

Yes, echoing Sootie - and with a very potent point of reality - Betty (on the far right front of the photo in purple) is no longer with us.  Don't wait too long to quit.  Your life really does depend upon it.  If you look at the top of the placard Stac is holding it says "Celebrate Each Day."   Dwell on that the next time you have a craving.  

We get together once a year because we are comrades.  Comrades in the combat against this addiction.  Because we have shared and bared our souls during this magnificent struggle to freedom.  Because we have a genuine emotional thirst to meet that person who has inspired us and given us succor in the dark days of cravings.  Or simply to see the avatars come to life (those people we have come to know so well emotionally but never met in the flesh.)  And frankly - just because we enjoy the hell out of each other.  Truly.  We are an amazing group of people.  And its just FUN hanging out together.  For all our differences of opinions and ways of communicating...there is a common bond that glues us all together.  And that is - we have walked the quit walk together.  We know the cost of it and the beauty of it.  And it's especially special when you physically hug the person you've been through it with!

Pops‌  You won't truly grasp what I'm saying until you're there and experience it.  It's a once-in-a-lifetime emotional thing.  I'm so glad I got to do it two years ago in Nashville.  You will carry this weekend with you forever.  Happily!  Drive very carefully and watch out for the texting drivers who don't even know you're around.  

Posamari

What a beautiful and inspirational blog! Wishing all an amazing time in VA. Safe travels to all

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is really a great post Pops‌! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.  Hopefully this will get a lot of reads.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Pops

Well Mark‌, 3 days later, and we are still getting readers....this is the sort of stuff that keeps us all close to one another....well, after hearing me @ the reunion, you know how I feel about this....look, it's up to almost 300 already and will most likely be growing for awhile....do me a favor, and keep this blog in an archive.  I'm not sure how it is done.  But I would like to be able to get it back up on the site for viewership throughout the year....

Thanks,

Pops

0 Kudos

Is that all we are to you?  🙂

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pops wrote:

Well Mark, 3 days later, and we are still getting readers....this is the sort of stuff that keeps us all close to one another....well, after hearing me @ the reunion, you know how I feel about this....look, it's up to almost 300 already and will most likely be growing for awhile....do me a favor, and keep this blog in an archive.  I'm not sure how it is done.  But I would like to be able to get it back up on the site for viewership throughout the year....

Thanks,

Pops

Pops

This post may go off the front page, until someone comments on it to bring it back.  It is a great post.  We don't archive posts at this time but you could put this as one of the 2 featured posts on your profile if you like.  Click Actions > Feature Content to do that.

To help it continue to get views you can @mention it like others mention other helpful posts. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/93137-i-know-you-all-can-see-the-buzz-about-the-ex-commun...

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
c2q

Great post, Pops. I already was wishing I could be there; now you've reminded me again why. It's the spirit and the camaraderie - solidarity in the quit!

I hope you guys all have a blast for those of us who can't make the trip. Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

I have asked an EX or 2 to give you a hard time while you're there, it's the least I could do for the Popscycle Cowboy Barista.

0 Kudos