cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sortner

I haven't vaped in a week!!! I need to tell someone :)

I had to stop smoking when my daughter turned 3 and I knew she could maybe remember what I was doing.  I turned to e-cigs.  I did the vaping thing for years then found the JUUL and LOOOOVED it!!! It was so convenient.  It didn't smell, it was compact and I could do it anywhere and no one knew.  I always kept it on me and used it almost constantly. Every chance I got. Even at work or in the car with my kids when they were asleep (windows down). I'm so ashamed.

I told my husband I quit last May, but I just hid it from him.  Now all this scary stuff is coming out about kids on ventilators because of using e-cigs.  I love vaping, but I can't let that happen to me. My family needs me and it's time to make a change.  So, for the first time in 20 years, I haven't inhaled anything into my lungs in over a week. I have been using the gum, but I've noticed I don't need it as much through out the day (Unless I'm drinking). I'm seeing the benefits already.  I'm not running to the bathroom every 20 minutes. I'm spending more time with my family.  No one knows about my addiction.  I've hidden it from everyone.  I'm tired of lying and sneaking and deception.  The gum has worked so great. I wish I had tried it years ago. I might be in a better place now.  Unfortunately, I am eating more than I would like.  I'm going to have to keep a check on that. I still have my weak moments where I want a hit so bad.  So glad to find this group where I can get support where I need in.

11 Replies
Roj

That is fantastic, never ever go back, you probably saved your life the day you quit....yay you !!!!!!!

0 Kudos
sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s sortner 

I am so glad you found our site...and I know that feeling of hiding your addiction....many of us did this with family, friends, etc., Congratulations on 1 week of no vaping...that is super...if you haven’’t already, might I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... keep close to this support site...we are all in this journey together...also, you are already seeing the benefits of not vaping....here is a list to keep you busy for those tough moments..../blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=5...  

You got this...Happy Monday ... Hang in there, it get better through time...~ Colleen 364 DOF 

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

You need to tell the world what a big step you've taken in your life! You'll have times when you'll need to talk to us, not like today because you are so proud of your actions, and you should, but there will be times when you need to talk to someone because you might feel stuck, or on the verge of picking one up again.  Don't ever do that!  Please come here, blog "help" in the title, and someone will come meet you and help you, should you have hard times in your quit.  Please go and read the "Best of EX", there is so much to learn which will help you on your own journey

Image result for welcome animated gif

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit vaping and your first successful week.

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   . You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is easy and entertaining read made a world of difference in how I thought about nicotine addction, and I credit that information and the folks on this site for my success at quitting on my very first attempt.  It can be found online or at your local library.

If used properly, nicotine gum is fine, but it needs to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to it if they substitute it for every time they normally hit the vape - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of it over time.  I was happy to read you are already using it less.  Next, you might cut each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.   Have something like an empty box for matches, or a smooth stone to keep your hands occupied.   Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Shoulhan

Congrats!!! I’m in the same place (well, day 2) using gum. Driving is the hardest trigger for me. I just want that rush of the inhale. Ugh!!! Any tips?? Thanks! Let’s keep it up!!! 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congrats so you quit 11/24/19 sortner‌? How do I get my quit date to show on the community?‌ to show you how to sync your date to the EX Community.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
mikerone

Good Job. Keep sharing and enjoy the new life. Congratulations

0 Kudos
Giulia

One week is a grand accomplishment.  You should definitely pat yourself on the back!  And don't you feel so much better now that you don't have to pretend and lie and sneak.  Keep it up!

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex! Thanks for sharing your success and please stick around at Ex. Lots of quitters here and we get how weird the start can be. Blog, comment, read as much as you wish to. Keep the nicotine free days coming one day at a time.

0 Kudos