cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

armywifeliz

I have decided to be an ex FINALLY.

Hello, My name is Elizabeth and I have been a smoker for 18 yrs and I have finally have decided that it's time for me to take control over my addiction and quit.  I have four beautiful children that I want to see grow up.  I've been getting bronchittis more and more now since I moved to the east coast and starting smoking more.  I have tried to quit cold turkey, but it never did work.  I set a date of May 31st for my quit date, I set it for a little longer because my husband just got back from afghanistan on March 27th and he is now gone for another 2 weeks for Annual Training.  We are moving to another state and I think once we are moved in all the stress will go away and the smoking will disappear as well. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hattie

Welcome to EX!

This is a great place to quit, as there are plenty of folks here to visit with, lean on, garner advice and such good things.

I'm a (ret) navy bride of several decades. First off, don't delude yourself that the stress will be relieved after you move, because there will yet another something or other that will come up to move your quit date... and then something after that.

I do know when your sweetie gets home the house and family can go into a tail spin because all the rules seem to change when 'daddy gets home!'

Just be sure once your move is over that you stick to your quit date. Don't put it off or you will keep coming up with more excuses. I've been there and I know.

Stress never goes away, it just subsides and flares back up from time to time.

On the other hand... I'm so pleased your sweetie is home and you've got your quit date on the horizon. That is good.

Do keep checking in here each day... several times, if necessary. We all help each other out. There is someone on this site 24/7 getting support and keeping their quit strong. I'm at 100 days and still come here for support; and, I'll be here at 1,000 and 2,000 and so on....

0 Kudos
armywifeliz

congratulations on being an ex, I am going to stay positive and be strong and believe that I will quit and never go back.  I have to stop making excuses for reasons why I smoke...  Once I stop making excues and start doing then I know I will be successful.  I will be on here for sure.  Thank you again for your support and I will be here to cheer you on for your success on being an Ex... congrats again Hattie...

0 Kudos
ltlme71

hello everyone 🙂 im so glad and so proud of all of you i am an ex have been for 6 months now, after smoking 29 years i quit cold turkey ..........it is hard and sometimes i still get the cravings to smoke, they never last long just a min or two and thats it,  but i will never pick another one up. it is so funny now, to do things that i use to do and i would always have to worry about when and where i was going to smoke and i dont have to worry with that any more i love the freedom that i have now.  for me it makes it easier to talk or tell people (even my 4 year old) when i want to smoke she looks at me and says "mommy no no smoking" i tell her i know just have to say it out loud that i want one and then the craving is gone like i said they never last long. the thing that helped me the most was reading, reading and more reading about the effects of nicotine and smoking and the effects that it has on your body, then i would go back and read how my body was healing its self every day that i didnt smoke. then when the cravings would hit or the depression (cause i did mourn the loss, that was the worst part for me) i would just think about how long it had been and the healing that my body was going under. that is what helped me i hope that it helps you also. just hang in there,  it does get better 🙂 now i can smell a smoker 3 cars in front of me lol and it stinks they stink cant believe i use to smell like that 🙂 good luck !!!!! 

0 Kudos