cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kdrew

I have been smoking for 30 yrs am now 59 yrs old and its affecting my health! Any advise as to start being a non smoker?

Stop!

11 Replies
elvan

It occurs to me that at least in SOME ways, you are ahead of a lot of quitters...you are 59 and smoked for 30 years which means you didn't start smoking until you were 29, is that right?  My math is terrible but that's what I came up with...that means you did not start when you were an adolescent and so you really learned to deal with emotions without smoking...many of us started when we were in our teens and we never learned how to deal with our emotions.  Nicotine stuffs emotions so we don't know what to do if we are not smoking.  We don't understand that it is perfectly normal to feel anger and sadness and anxiety and any other emotion you can think of.  By the age of 29, you had at least learned to deal with some of those feelings, hopefully, you can remember how.  Do your homework...make your plan, stay close to the site....read, read, and then read some more.  We all started where you are and we all want you to succeed.

Ellen

sweetplt

Hi And Welcome to EX...

I think you should take it a step at a time and you use the EX site to quit smoking.  You will determine a quit date and prepare for that date.  It takes you through a "step by step" process.  Quitting isn't easy, but YOU can do it...We are here to help in any way.  Wishing you a beautiful beginning in this journey...Colleen aka sweets

0 Kudos