cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kathi2

I don't know how to separate

I've identified my triggers-so now what? What do I do after the ten minutes is over. My cravings for cigarettes has not gone down any. And there sometimes are no triggers, I just want to smoke.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
angel6

That is the great part about separation.... after 10 minutes you can have that smoke. Just be sure you are distracting yourself during that 10 minute wait. After you can do 10 minutes comfortably...then do 12. You may want to take 6 weeks to separate. What you are doing is slowly changing your habit. Just by waiting the extra time and doing other things, you are changing your routine. Which is part of what helps us to kick the psychological part of our addiction. You may be anxious about quitting to and are preoccupied with not smoking... tell yourself you haven't quit yet and just wait a few minutes. You can do this. After a few days you should get the hang of things. If you need anything just give a shout! Keep up the good work!

Smoke free and Healing for Two weeks, three days, 18 hours, 28 minutes and 9 seconds. 284 cigarettes not smoked, saving $54.73. Life saved: 23 hours, 40 minutes.

Angel
0 Kudos
nikkie-noodle

Kathi- You are here for a reason. Obviously (other than health) factors you know why you should stop.

But ONLY YOU know this.

The mental and physical cravings are temporary. They go away. TRAIN your mind to forget you use to smoke.

Mind Over Matter(MOM)

That is what I am doing, and so far so good. But I know what you mean about just wanting to smoke. Every now and then it crosses my mind. I really hope you find the seperation you need to BECOME AN EX......................

We are here for you!!.....................NOODLE
0 Kudos
cindy25

Kathi, separation is not just about waiting 10 minutes. Separation is also about changing the TIMES when you smoke. For example, one of the first triggers I attacked was with coffee in the morning (not the morning trigger- just the coffee trigger). The first morning I just got up and went outside to smoke (no coffee). Yuk. I got to smoke but it was "no fun". The next day, I took a shower first, had a cup of coffee inside, left the coffee inside and went outside to smoke. The next day I did the same, but didn't have my smoke until I was ready to leave the house. Honestly, by by the third day of breaking the "coffee-smoke" connection, I noticed that I did not wake up in the morning CRAVING a smoke. The crave came much later. It was amazing how breaking the association made it "less desirable". I still smoked, but it was not at the same amount or not nearly as satisfying. Then I tackled the "morning" trigger (not really the same for me). I delayed smoking that morning cigarette until I got to my office, etc.
I don't know if this helps, but this program really helped me. I think a trick is to keep going on the triggers in rapid succession and quit within a week or two so you don't relapse on a trigger and lose steam. Any ideas for trigger separation exercises that I might help you with -just ask. When I joined this site and was working on the triggers- no one was really talking about that portion of the program. I am happy to share any ideas! I have been smoke free for over two months!!!!!!
0 Kudos
jennie3

Plz don't give in the cravings do lessen as time passes nothing easy is ever really worth doing anyway right.Go kathi Go you can do thisGO TO BFREAKY.COM
BFREAKY.COM
0 Kudos
kathi2

Thank You for your words of wisdom. It's the 'just don't smoke' thing that is killing me. So should I go 10, 12, 14, etc. until I break the habit?
0 Kudos
kathi2

Thanks! I will go check that site out. Your situation seems to be a lot like mine. And if you can do it , I'll be damned if I can't!
0 Kudos
kathi2

Thanks Angel for your suggestions. I just need some ideas on how to fill my time. If you have any it would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
kathi2

I"m gonna give it my best!
0 Kudos