cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mwoodslisw

I can’t get out of my head!

I’ve smoked since I was 12 and have tried to quit a hundred times at least. I’m on Wellbutrin and nicotine gum. The nicotine is NOT my issue-I get to this point of a quit-7-14 days in (I’m at 9) and the mental cravings get crazy!  I start bargaining with myself about getting a pack and sneaking like one a day which turned back into 10 a day. I have never gotten over this hump. I have to this time. I have to. Can anyone help kick in on this discussion?

Tags (1)
11 Replies
Mommamich

I know this will sound silly but it absolutely helped me. Everytime I thought about sneaking a smoke, I closed my eyes and imagined someone offering me a cigarette.  I would say to them, No thank you I don't smoke. Then I'd open my eyes do a strut and continue to sing I don't smoke.....I don't smoke. The urge would move on and I'd be fine. Congrats on your quit! Mine wasn't the nicotine that was hard, it was the habit. Still need to strut and sing now and then.

maryfreecig

In my opinion, habits do not make us go crazy--dependency does. Nicotine dependency is a complicated thing. And often the answer is to get more support rather than trying to go it alone. Ex is going to be here everyday--covid 19 and beyond. Please stick around and engage with the community which you are now a part of. Read, learn, blog, ask questions, comment as much as you like. One thing is for sure, if you keep telling yourself that you no longer smoke and you don't smoke you will get past those 9-14 days. It's a journey, one day at a time--or so I have come to find that I can't do this any other way but just for today.