cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

crystal14

I can't even cut back on smoking...how am I ever going to quit?!

Yea so I set my quit date for May 1st...and my plan was to cut back to only 3 cigarettes per day before that date. But for some reason, now that I'm trying to cut back...all I want to do is smoke more! Seriously, about every 20 minutes I get the urge to step outside...and I know that it's all in my head but damn! It's tough lol. What am I going to do when the time comes to quit? Does anyone have any suggestions to help me get my mind off lighting up?
Best luck to all
-Crystal-
0 Kudos
7 Replies
bobrickert

I dont know for sure but I think it might help to simply not buy anymore ciggarets and the you wont have any when the urge hits .
and then when you feel the need to buy them maybe you should make yourself walk to te store and buy a pak then take out 1 and throw the rest away.
Just an idea
good luck ...stay true to your quit day.
0 Kudos
icanquit

Stay strong.. try and look at your triggers and folow the plan.
0 Kudos
Susan59

Crystal,

Although I think it is commendable that you have tried to cut back...cutting back and quitting are 2 different things, When you quit you are done and I don;'t think it makes a huge difference if you smoked one or twenty it is going to be hard but totally worth it!

I never cut back and just quit on my day. I used the patch and it was really helpful, Their are lots of meds available and I would recommend using one. Their is no glory in trying to go cold turkey when so much help is there. Many people are using Chantrix and I also hear that the gum is helpful. The most important thing for me this time was that I really meant it, I had a plan, and I followed the plan. I found mints really helpful. Also remembering that a physical urge only lasts about 3 minutes helped. You can make it through 3 minutes! That's how I am quitting 3 minutes at a time. Today is day 54 for me and I hardly think about it,,,some days are worse then others but I have not had a puff since 2/28,

Develop your plan, do the work you need to do, pick your day! You can do this!!!

In the long run you will realize that their is not a single good reason to smoke but a million reason to quit.. Always remember your reason!!!

Prayers.

Susan - Free and Healing for One Month, Twenty Four Days, 21 Hours and 46 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 3 Days and 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1006 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $289.99.
0 Kudos
crystal14

Thanks so much for your support everybody. Today went ALOT better than yesterday lol. Ive only had 6 cigarettes so far...about 10 cigs down from my usually haha.
Thanks for all of the suggestions too...they really help alot. I tried some of them out today...and that's probably why I'm doing as good as I am!
Congrats Susan on ur One Month, Twenty Four Days, 21 Hours and 46 Minutes!! Keep up the good work!

Best of luck everybody...thanks a million!
0 Kudos
bobrickert

3rd day for me...it is tough ..it seems that to day and yesterday are harder than the first day.
Doing my best to stay strong
0 Kudos
josh8

Hey Crystal,

In all my attempts, cutting back never worked. I would cut down for maybe a week, and after all, I'd come back to my full pack a day. I've quit though, almost 6 weeks now, and it's much easier than cutting down (in my opinion). Good luck.
0 Kudos
elizabeth17

Cutting down to me always seemed like a numbers game... a mind f***, if you will. Putting a number on something gives you mental room to play with it and obsess on it. For MY addict mind, "cutting down" is torture... my advice it just decide when you are done and STICK TO IT. Ride it out! It's hard... at first. But then, the addiction breaks, and it gets easier. Ease also comes with the amount of pride we non-smokers feel for "just doing it". You can too!!!
0 Kudos