cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I am terrified......

I have tried to quit in the past and failed.... Over and over again. I just need to know that there are real people out there who have ACTUALLY QUIT. If your that person and have any suggestions, PLEASE Share them. Thanks.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Thank you. As I sit here smoking what will be (hopefully) one of my last cigs it helps to know that there are people who did it and survived. Thank you.
0 Kudos
John48

Are you still smoking Amadaus?

I am the real deal when it comes to smoking. I was a smoker's smoker they would say. I started when I was only 11 years old and, no, I didn't get sick or hate the way it tasted - I loved it at that moment at 11 years old! I smoked starting with about a pack a week, went up to 2 then 3 packs a day and then leveled off at about 1-1.5 packs a day until 19 days ago when I quit. I am 36 years old so my habit was 25 years.

I tried every smoking cessation program (except hypnosis) including Chantix, the patch, the gum, the losenge and cold turkey. I failed at each one many, many times. Most of the time I failed within the same day.

You have to tell yourself that there will ALWAYS be an excuse to smoke, always a reason to light up again. That will never go away until you are completely commited to quitting. Be stronger. I am a true smoker (was...) and now I'm done. It will never be easy but it is worth it and you get bragging rights. Be selfish and do whatever yu need to do to quit because this is a life changing event!!
0 Kudos
zana

I originally quit 06/2007. Since then I have had about 5 mini relapses. I think quitting smoking is a gradual thing. I have used Chantix most of the time and paid for it full price since my insurance does not cover it. I think the longer we have smoked, the more it is ingrained in our daily lives and it takes a while to phase it out. I think the longer we try and the more we learn to live without it and enjoy the small rewards we get from not smoking, the closer we get to our goal of being a non-smoker vs. a smoke who is not smoking.
0 Kudos
dave27

Rockthis
I'm real. My sense of smell is returning. Something that is actually helping me is smelling the stench of smoke on my 17 year old daughter. It sucks that it takes seeing one of your children repeat the cycle. Then you have to accept that they probably wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for your bad example. I'm just thinking out loud about my own situation, but you could use it if you think it may become applicable in some way
0 Kudos
david-v

On the 25th I smoked a whopping 70 cigarettes in 20 hours
smoked 2 or 3 more on sunday making up my mind
bought a fresh pack on monday morning and have left it untouched next to the PC. i'm still alive. no painful nothings. A few urges now and then, especially after a meal.
had some stomach issues the first day. gas, bloating etc less the second day.
And today i feel great. My skin looks better. I have an appetite for 4, i am less stressed and irritable.
AND I AM NOT WORRIED IF I'M GONNA MAKE IT OR NOT.
The second day was the worst so far.
Don't sweat it, after you make the first step, you've done the hardest part.
Trust me.
0 Kudos
mary45

I am just as scared! Its sad that something like this can become that much of our lives. I am with you. Terrified
0 Kudos
cindy16

Hi, Today is day 13 for me. Feeling good. Hardly any cravings. I'm on chantix and it is woking good for me. I hope everyone is doing good. Have a nice weekend.
Cindy
0 Kudos

Hi, As Rob said, you are here so you "are'" ready to kick this habit. Even if you take one or two things from everyone here it will help alot. I am now a non smoker for 3 mos and for me that is a GREAT accomplishment! I have tried many times before! For me it was difficult, I have to be honest. I had to FIGHT hard and believe me the reward "out weighs" giving in to what you "think" is enjoyment. I am so much more relaxed now, no heart palps anymore it really is nice without cigs! (wow, it that really "me" saying that?!) Believe me, I do still get cravings but I immediately think of something else. All I can tell you is you MUST keep fighting, and you "are" actually fighting for your life. I never thought it would get easier like everyone told me it would but believe me it does and I am living proof! Good luck, you CAN do this!
0 Kudos

Oh, and by the way, you CANNOT stop gradually! JUST DO IT and rid yourself once and for all!!!
0 Kudos